• Don Wade
    We understand quite a bit about how the inner-ear helps us maintain physical balance as we walk. But, have we considered how the inner-ear may also help us in maintaining a mental-balance in the way we think?
  • Tom Storm
    Try Ménière's disease... the God beliefs will fall right out of you as you tip over...
  • frank
    Try Ménière's disease... the God beliefs will fall right out of you as you tip over...
    s
    Tom Storm

I think you can use bungee cords to strap them in place.
  • praxis
    My wife has had an inner ear infection and suffered vertigo for the last five weeks and only within the last few hours has it completely abated. Her mind has been as balanced as ever for the duration.
  • TheMadFool
    Metaphor commingles with the literal in this thread. The question seems to be reasonable, a product of a sensible person but, not to exclude myself from those who think this way, something's off about it all.

It's like asking if the mind can actually see things, just as the eyes do, when someone says something like, "I see your point."

Perhaps, this thread is a genuine call to examine metaphor in language: they could be relatable means by which to express one's thoughts ("to grasp a concept" sounds so familiar that one can almost feel the concept in your hands); they could indicate a deep connection between experiences that, on the surface, seem poles apart ("that someone's mind is rigid and inflexible" crosses the boundary between the physical and the mental, two worlds thought to differ radically from each other); they could be telltale signs of confusion of the highest order (when it's difficult to comprehend something, a favorite technique is to resort to metaphors, in essence an account of the unfamiliar/unknown in terms of the familiar/known); they could be features of language (style of communication); etc.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.