• 3017amen

Thank you for that. BTW, PM me on the protest thread. I never saw that.

And yes, I wont derail the OP subject matter either, only to say that it really disturbs me to see violence against those who are not considered mainstream or like themselves. Maybe there's a better word that captures the phenomenon... maybe it's 'different'. (Kind of reminds me of the ambiguous genatailia baby phenomenon.)

Anyway, maybe the only thing germane to the OP would be the emotional component/anger (people politics) that people have toward those who participate in trans gender events. Obviously, most of us would say if it's possible, let's try to do it. In the information age, we are too sophisticated not to at least try. Gee, that's probably too idealistic :smirk:
  • Echarmion
    We used to be able to turn to factual scientific research. Apparently, science is still trying to figure out the trans equation.Edy

Science is also a social activity though, and as such when it's subject is relevant to an ongoing political conflict, the science itself is also political. It's quite easy to see this when you look at the discussion surrounding climate change. You can always level the charge that a certain study has been politically motivated and it's results are therefore questionable.

I'm not saying don't trust the science, or don't turn to scientific methods, but science is not immune to politics unfortunately.

I have an issue with woman missing out on championships, careers, scholarships and being role models. All these are compromised in any sport that allows trans to compete against cis.Edy

It's a reasonable concern, imho. It requires us to look at what the rules ought to be for sport, and what principle leagues and divisions should be build on. It's not a bad discussion to have, and one where the science is definetly relevant, though I think it cannot make the final decision on its own. That's a political determination to make.
  • Jack Cummins

Thanks for your reply, and hopefully, the discussion we had on this thread will be useful for the topic here. So, I will get out of the discussion on sports because, really, I prefer philosophy...
  • Banno
    I read an article about girls who were at the height of their sport that were beaten terribly at it by transgender males.TiredThinker

Where?
  • unenlightened
    Sport is inherently unfair, as cack-handed wimps like myself have to compete with people who give a fuck and try to win. Some of them even practice.
  • Leghorn
    There are two different phenomena at work here: hyper-advanced egalitarianism, that wants everything, including human beings, to be absolutely equal; and Nature, that wants to differentiate b/w everything. The latter wishes to segregate—why are there different races of men?—the former wishes to unite—why are women just as intelligent, if not more so, than men?

Between these two poles, that of equality and that of segregation, the world must eternally turn.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.