• Rich
    I disagree, but that is the nature of the world. You wanted evidence, I gave it to you. Do what you wish with it, including ignoring it. For those who wish to follow this line of inquiry, they are free to do so. Key words would be Bohm, quantum potential, quantum entanglement, non-locality, Wheeler's delayed choice enjoyment. From this starting point, the is a very rich line of inquiry.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    So assume that I am sitting, nice and still, meditating. I decide that it's time to get up. So I suddenly stand up and walk away. How does my memory suddenly cause the waves which are necessary to move my body? The cause is not some surrounding waves, or non-local activity, because it comes from right within my mind. A particular, separate, and independent wave must be created right at this very locale, and this wave spreads outward into the surrounding area as I get up and walk away.
  • tom
    I disagree, but that is the nature of the world. You wanted evidence, I gave it to you. Do what you wish with it, including ignoring it. For those who wish to follow this line of inquiry, they are free to do soRich

Your msunderstanding of QM is not evidence for infinite continuous fields, which by-the-way can't be continuous if they are quantized.
  • Rich
    So assume that I am sitting, nice and still, meditating. I decide that it's time to get up. So I suddenly stand up and walk away. How does my memory suddenly cause the waves which are necessary to move my body? The cause is not some surrounding waves, or non-local activity, because it comes from right within my mind. A particular, separate, and independent wave must be created right at this very locale, and this wave spreads outward into the surrounding area as I get up and walk awayMetaphysician Undercover

In my model, which dovetails Bergson's, the impulse is the Elan Vital which is embedded, or at once literally the wave. The impulse can be considered a creative desire to learn, and it manifests partially as Will, partially as Creative Intuition, and partially as Memory. In Chinese metaphysics the counterparts would be the Dao, Yin/Yang, and Qi. Heraclitus called it the Logos. The image that would analogue this would be the Ocean Wave with Gravity embedded within it to create movement. However, in this case, since we are discussing life and the Elan Vital, the movement can be directed to satisfy a desire to create and learn.
  • Rich
    [duplicate]
  • Rich
    Thanks.
    The image that would analogue this would be the Ocean Wave with Gravity embedded within it to create movement.Rich

Can you describe the "Ocean Wave"? In your model, is there a wave which initiates from a point, like when you drop a pebble in water, or is there just perturbations in existing waves? If there is such a wave, which initiates from a point, what would cause this wave?
  • Rich
    Can you describe the "Ocean Wave"? In your model, is there a wave which initiates from a point, like when you drop a pebble in water, or is there just perturbations in existing waves? If there is such a wave, which initiates from a point, what would cause this wave?Metaphysician Undercover

We can use Bohm's own image of quantum potential and the Implicate Order.

BohmQP.jpg

Bohm himself suggested that one can consider consciousness being embedded within these movements creating the impulse for the movements. Another way to put it would be that all of these impulses are consciousness in action, or consciousness manifesting. Those spikes in the quantum potential would be what is modeled as particles. As you can see, with this model there is no discreteness.
    As you can see, with this model there is no discreteness.Rich

I suppose this means that there can be no beginning point of a wave. Such a beginning would be a discrete occurrence.
  • tom
    I suppose this means that there can be no beginning point of a wave. Such a beginning would be a discrete occurrence.Metaphysician Undercover

But the particle must be within one of the discrete grooves.
  • Rich
    on
    I suppose this means that there can be no beginning point of a wave. Such a beginning would be a discrete occurrence.Metaphysician Undercover

One way to view the wave would be consciousness expanding over time (duration). The beginning and ending being consciousness itself.
  • zoya
    Well, in easy words to me the whole paradox is asked wrongly, if we go into the deep logics we can see that if we clap our hands together , we our moving with accelerating velocity or in a constant velocity not in an instantaneous decelerating velocity . according to the paradox if we have our distance every time we will never reach the end and that is true. but in normal case we never half our distance or velocity instantaneously .So that is the reason our hands meet in the end.
  • Michael
    Well, in easy words to me the whole paradox is asked wrongly, if we go into the deep logics we can see that if we clap our hands together , we our moving with accelerating velocity or in a constant velocity not in an instantaneous decelerating velocity . according to the paradox if we have our distance every time we will never reach the end and that is true. but in normal case we never half our distance or velocity instantaneously .So that is the reason our hands meet in the end.zoya

The paradox doesn't talk about deceleration.
  • zoya
    distance is forever related to velocity if taken in context with motion
  • SophistiCat
    but in normal case we never half our distance or velocity instantaneouslyzoya

I am not aware of any version of Zeno's paradoxes that assumes that some distance is covered instantaneously, or that makes any extraordinary assumptions about velocity or acceleration.
  • zoya
    @SophistiCat try this yourself try to join one of your hand with another by halving the distance , you will never reach your hand. thats the reason i discussed deceleration . halving the distance at every instant means you are decelerating instantaneously. if we do that we would never ever reach our other hand.
  • Michael
    try this yourself try to join one of your hand with another by halving the distance , you will never reach your hand. thats the reason i discussed deceleration . halving the distance at every instant means you are decelerating instantaneously. if we do that we would never ever reach our other hand.zoya

This has nothing to do with the paradox.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.