• Gregory

A lot of those into science believe matter is dead unless organic. But nothing is dead and I'm not talking about pansychism here. I'm taking about a world that has beauty and which responds to our ideas. Scientist often escape into a Platonic world and more than in other fields have breakdowns, as Gödel and Cantor unfortunately had. I started this thread with a little talk about numbers and have now moved on to my larger program about sickness of mind in the West
  • TonesInDeepFreeze

Darn, I was hoping to hear about a work in mathematics that is from a dead universe perspective and moves in infinite circles.

And now I'm also hoping to hear of a study that shows that scientists have an especially high incidence of mental illness.

Then I was wondering what you had in mind when you mentioned Godel's theorems, but the only thing so far you've mentioned is his and Cantor's breakdowns. If you are suggesting that Godel and Cantor suffered mental illness due to their work in mathematics, then that would require evidence. Also, I hope you are not suggesting that Godel's and Cantor's personal problems discredit the mathematics.
  • jgill
    Mathematics is usually practiced as a Platonic type of religious practiceGregory

I had a colleague, a fellow math prof, who was a devout Catholic. I once asked him what he thought it was that we do as mathematicians. He said, "We are like priests who practice their faith, it's what we do."
  • TonesInDeepFreeze

Mathematicians do sometimes say cheeky things like that. But mathematics doesn't have religious practices, rites, rituals, creeds, obligations of obedience, eschatology, myths, scripture, moral strictures, determination of truth by fiat and divine revelation, etc.

Mathematics is the opposite of religion.
  • jgill
    Some people like to be cheeky like thatTonesInDeepFreeze

Au contraire, he was right!
  • Gregory

Gödel already proved that mathematics is either wrong or that there are infinite things that can't be proven. The problem is that they can never find where the line is between what is provable and what is not, so mathematicians will forever be searching for the finite sequence of proofs that are certainly knowable. It's enticing to look for total certainty in your field of study but it can cause problems
  • TonesInDeepFreeze

We can list the essential attributes of religion, and see which of those are attributes of mathematics. Attenuated, glib, "kinda sorta" analogies like "axioms are a fiats" or "infinity is mystic" don't count.
  • Gregory

You seem overly rationalistic
  • TonesInDeepFreeze
    Gödel already proved that mathematics is either wrong or that there are infinite things that can't be proven.Gregory

That is one of the worst encapsulations of Godel I've ever read.

The problem is that they can never find where the line is between what is provable and what is notGregory

Another botched attempt.
  • jgill
    We can list the essential attributes of religion, and see which of those are attributes of mathematicsTonesInDeepFreeze

No no no. It's what you feel, not what you know. You are thinking like a logician. :gasp:
  • Gregory

No it's correct. I stated it boldly to bring out its true nature
  • TonesInDeepFreeze

Just to be clear, that ad hominem doesn't refute anything I've said. Second, I have all kinds of facets, not just reason, but in discussing mathematics, I prefer to be lucid.
  • Gregory

You responded to the wrong person and wrote like a Logicist
  • TonesInDeepFreeze
    It's what you feel, not what you know.jgill

If I understand you correctly, sure, one can feel that one is being religious. I am not disputing that he is accurately describing the way he feels or even views what he does.
  • jgill
    so mathematicians will forever be searching for the finite sequence of proofs that are certainly knowable. It's enticing to look for total certainty in your field of study but it can cause problemsGregory

You are expecting too much of us. We are mere mortals, and few of us commit ourselves to this challenging task.
  • Gregory

I feel like you ask for proof for the obvious
  • TonesInDeepFreeze
    You responded to the wrong personGregory

No, I didn't.

wrote like a LogicistGregory

That's idiotic. Logicism is the view that mathematics can be derived from logical axioms alone. I've never even flirted with logicism.
  • TonesInDeepFreeze
    it's correctGregory

Where did Godel say it?
  • TonesInDeepFreeze
    I feel like you ask for proof for the obviousGregory

Ah, argument by "it's obvious".
  • TonesInDeepFreeze
    What ad hominem?Gregory

Your claim that I seem overly rationalistic, obviously.
  • Gregory

In his 1931 paper he said he set out to prove that mathematics was inconsistent (aka wrong) or incomplete. Where can the line be drawn with which to distinguish the provable from the unprovable? They still have to work out the foundations of mathematics. It sounds like you make logic or math a religion
  • Gregory

I said "seem" which means "appears to others' perception"
  • TonesInDeepFreeze
    1931 paper he said he set out to prove that mathematics was inconsistent (aka wrong) or incompleteGregory

And that doesn't deserve the mangled version you posted earlier.

Where can the line be drawn with which to distinguish the provable from the unprovable?Gregory

It's not clear what "line to be drawn" means there. And every formula is provable in some system or another.
  • TonesInDeepFreeze
    I said "seem" which means "appears to others' perception"Gregory

Oh please, a minor pedantic shift in the way one casts an ad hominem doesn't erase it's affect as an hominem.
  • TonesInDeepFreeze
    It sounds like you make logic or math a religionGregory

Of course I don't. I listed a good number of the major features of religion. I don't relate to mathematics with any of those features.
  • Gregory

I merely repeated my previous post on Gödel. I just reread both of them. Anyhow are you saying they can find a limited number of theorems that they know for sure is provable from the ground up?
  • TonesInDeepFreeze
    I merely repeated my previous post on Gödel.Gregory

"
    Gödel already proved that mathematics is either wrong or that there are infinite things that can't be proven.Gregory

and

mathematics was inconsistent (aka wrong) or incompleteGregory

are critically different.
  • Gregory

If you find the word "rationalistic" insulting, it be interested to know your world view.
  • jgill
    f I understand you correctly, sure, one can feel that one is being religious. I am not disputing that he is accurately describing the way he feels or even views what he does.TonesInDeepFreeze

I think you are being too literal. I am working on a conjecture right now, as I have on others on and off for fifty years, with a sort of pleasing fervor that could be described more as a religious mood than a purely problem-solving commitment. Its true than mathematicians can be very competitive, even mean spirited at times, and I have been in an unpleasant situation that reeked of it, but exploring math - rather than learning it - is a delight and has its rewards.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.