• Benj96
    The way I see it there can only be one of three possible structures to reality in regard to awareness, knowledge, truth and understanding:

1). The universe is fundamentally finite and knowable. There is a clear determined point A (beginning) and point B (end) An ultimate level of knowledge and understanding is achievable. For example suggested by mechanistic physics, the law of conservation of energy and entropy. A grand unifying theory of everything that leaves no questions unanswered in its paradigm. Full omniscience.

2). The universe is again finite with point A and B but is fundamentally setup in a way that prevents ultimate knowledge. We are physically bound by the laws of nature to a permanent state of unknowability/ ignorance and can never achieve improvement beyond a certain degree of awareness as it would violate these laws. For example as suggested by Heisenbergs uncertainty principle and Schrödinger’s cat. Our maximum level achievement is capped. Full unalterable ignorance

3). The universe does not limit our pursuit of knowledge however it is also not finite but infinite in its capacity to change in nature and behaviour and paradigm. Therefore we are in an endless state of progress and advancement with no point A (start) or point B (end). Progress is merely an illusion that we have come from, are or will go anywhere at all. As suggested by circular argument, Buddhist philosophy and infinite regressions.

What do you believe the merit and disadvantage of each is or can you offer another possibility I have not considered
  • synthesis
    The universe is fundamentally finite and knowable.Benj96

Whereas The Universe (as a concept) is finite and knowable, it seems decidedly infinite and unknowable in Reality.

What is finite and knowable (albeit transient) is the intellectualization process, not the The Universe itself. And although it is easy to see this vis a vis The Universe, the same applies to all things.
  • Gnomon
    The way I see it there can only be one of three possible structures to reality in regard to awareness, knowledge, truth and understanding:Benj96
    My general worlview agrees with (1) in that it is finite and knowable. But since the advent of Quantum Theory, (2) randomness is also characteristic of the world's structure. Although our "local" universe -- to distinguish from Multiverse and Many Worlds conjectures -- had a definite beginning in time, and an inevitable end of time. So, given time to explore -- not just our local world, but the solar system & beyond -- humans can expect to "Know" enough about reality to acquire a close approximation to "Truth".

Unfortunately, the quirks of quantum-scale reality seem to limit our understanding to only a fuzzy image of total Reality. So in my view (3) may be a "sour grapes" response to the frustration of an ultimate limit to our understanding, that makes absolute Truth unknowable. Therefore, we can either (A) frustrated by the randomness of reality, turn inward to meditate on our inner world, or (B) stop wasting time on circular philosophy, and just "shut-up and calculate". Or, (C) more sanguinely, continue to bravely explore the frontiers of the outer world, and of the inner mind. :cool:
  • tim wood
    3) seems about right. But there is no need for any infinities. The universe as understood is plenty big enough to swallow us up many, many, ..., times over. To begin to understand the possibilities of even just a lot of things, try this on the number Tree(3) and its added video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P6DWAwwViU
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet