• Pietercircus10
    Drawing on from the work of Adam Smith, how do the two co-exist together? Is it possible to have self-interest while also being able to form our own moral judgements? Don't they cancel each other out?

What sort of mechanisms underpin these two combinations?

Please let me know your thoughts!
  • counterpunch
    Is it possible to have self-interest while also being able to form our own moral judgements?Pietercircus10

If drawing on the work of Adam Smith, surely you refer to rational self interest - and not to immoral/amoral selfishness?

Don't they cancel each other out?Pietercircus10

No. Economic decision making driven by rational self interest is, overwhelmingly, a moral good.

"It is not by the generosity of the butcher and baker that I have my supper, but by their regard to their own rational self interests."
  • Adam Hilstad
    I probably agree with the previous answer, at least in large part. But I’d also add that what we often call self-interest, our fundamental motivations, are not self-interest at all—they are simply teleonomic. We just act as though we are self-interested, when in fact on that level it’s nothing but instinct.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.