• maytham naei
    Having been dissatisfied with the current statues of news media, I have created these simple rules to keep me sane.

• Participate in discussions
    • Read news with a purpose (i.e. trading)
    • Pay for news (Don't be the product)
    • The more ambiguous the info the longer the content (event == tweets, opinion == books)
    • Bookmark and index articles until they are needed
    • Main steam Information is going to leak anyway, focus on niche topics
    • Replace website comment sections with comments from friends
    • New news publications are more likely to be idealistic and thus honest
    • Be careful of exhausting your curiosity
  • T Clark
    simple rulesmaytham naei

• Ignore the news mostly. Stick to science.

• Look at a general news site every day or two to make sure the world hasn't ended and Bob Dylan hasn't won the Nobel Prize in literature.

• Avoid stories that aggravate me.

• Generally stay away from politics. If I decide to read some, go to moderate conservative sources I trust. "American Conservative" is my favorite, although they got a little goofy during the election.

• Stay away from liberal sites. There's nothing more irritating than having to deal with people I'm supposed to agree with who are idiots.

• Use comment sections as a place to test my ability to be civil and look for common values with people I disagree with.
  • Jack Cummins

Generally, sociologists have pointed to the potential biases within news, mainly due to the way in which those who own the news companies have a role in manufacturing it. So, there may be underlying slants, and some newspapers are biased towards particular viewpoints and politics.However, we need to be aware of the news, so need to access it.

Another option, rather than having a set of rules, is to come with a certain amount of critical awareness and, by looking at various sources. There can be so much sensation in news. Also, it is about the aspects which affect us. I find that if I watch too news on television or look at too much news on my phone, I get stressed out. c We are now in the situation of fake news being generated too. But, all news comes with the biases of journalists, and underlying politics. So, perhaps the main thing is to not take it all at complete face value realising that there may be more going on behind the scenes, of headlines, and that is worth trying to dig deeper than the mere surfaces.
  • maytham naei

Curiosity exhaustion. Very simply in today's world we are overwhelmed with information, and when we are beyond our capacity to process, distinguishing between the simplest facts is impossible. The set of rules are meant to avoid this faith.

There should definitely be ways to take in news in an biased manner. I have been thinking of two methods, computer algorithms and human algorithms. We might needs algorithms to fight algorithms. Hopefully someone can create a software product to do this for us. The human algorithm is just hearing news from friends.

Either way I haven't found a good solution yet.
  • Sir2u
    Even simpler rule.
    Ignore the news mostly. Stick to science.

Look at a general news site every day or two to make sure the world hasn't ended and Bob Dylan hasn't won the Nobel Prize in literature.

Avoid stories that aggravate me.

Generally stay away from politics. If I decide to read some, go to moderate conservative sources I trust. "American Conservative" is my favorite, although they got a little goofy during the election.

Stay away from liberal sites. There's nothing more irritating than having to deal with people I'm supposed to agree with who are idiots.

Use comment sections as a place to test my ability to be civil and look for common values with people I disagree with.
    T Clark

Check.
    You should look more often.
    Check, especially the kartrashian type of stuff.
    Double check, nothing about anything political is interesting and is annoying.
    Triple check, the problem is that sometimes you have to read the article to discover that the writer is an idiot.
    No way. The comment sections are there for entertainment purposes. That is one of the best measurement of the decline of people's IQ. And the source of hours of laughter at the stupidity of the posts.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.