• Qmeri
    This might just be a cultural thing, but to me the idea of objectivity seems like a social taboo... Its just awkward to ever directly talk about it. Probably since it makes ones opinion seem more valuable than others. But objectivity is a real and important thing that can be enhanced through techniques.

For example the peer review in the scientific method does improve objectivity. Simply thinking like: "how could I be wrong?" does on average increase objectivity. For me objectivity should be a normal thing to talk about... it probably should be taught in schools as its own subject with general critical thinking or something... to me its just that important since it is one of the three biggest barriers to get to something close to "truth". Others being analytical skill and knowledge.
  • original2
    I don't think that objectivity is a social taboo, people just aren't competent enough to recognize it. They can recognize some useful artifacts that were created using the objectivity though.

I think that low value of objectivity for common folk is the consequence of meticulous rationality trait on average not improving the fitness of the individual having it. This trait brought some great advances for the societies, but in their personal lives the people just don't see the immediate value of it to themselves.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment