• Gregory
    Most people are aware that Nazi Germany had a star philosopher, but not many seem to known that Fascist Italy had one to in one Giovanni Gentile. Now I am not too interested in his political theories, although he did redeem himself at the end unlike Heidegger. But I was wondering if anyone is familiar with Gentile's idealist philosophy itself, which he called actualism. His doctrinal thesis (1898) was on Catholic priests Rosmini and Gioberti and drew connections between their thoughts and German idealism. What Kant called "transcendental unity of apperception" Gentile called "concrete logic" (rational organization), and Gentile's ideas latter influenced R. G. Collingwood. Much of Italian writings from the first half of the 20th century has not been translated into English, so I wouldn't be surprised if nobody has anything to say about this philosopher or had any idea of the relationship between his philosophy and Heidegger's (setting aside their politics), but if their is anyone out there interesting in this, let me know and post here.
    Thanks
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.