• Benj96
    All human attempts at creating a perpetual motion machine have failed. They fall prey to imperfect energy recycling - that is with every revolution/ cycle of a process they gradually lose energy to the surrounding environment as either friction and heat, sound or light etc.
    This is due to entropy and the laws of thermodynamics. However, I often wonder based on the conservation law: that energy cannot be created nor destroyed ...is the universe itself a perpetual motion machine?

Some believe entropy leads eventually to heat death- where all molecules in the universe lose their kinetic energy and the fabric of space reaches 0 thermal energy or “absolute zero”.

What I don’t understand is that if this is the case where has the energy gone? It must still be there right?
    My simplistic and most probably highly reductive conclusion is that 0 = -1 + 1. 0 being pure potential( does not require time as it is a non-acting/un manifested state) and -1 to 1 being “rate”: a sort of relativity between time and energy/motion.
    Pure potential in this case (all time periods, all energy levels, all rates combined which fundamentally cancel each other out) can be split into “un-cancelled” states: integers other than zero which can then interact. This interaction is entropy as entropy leads back to the 0 state (rate slowing down from minimal time maximum energy - Big Bang to minimum energy maximal time -“heat death”. Both would be born of zero point potential and both would die as zero point potential with the beginning of time and the end of time respectively
  • Pop
    What I don’t understand is that if this is the case where has the energy gone?Benj96

It hasn't gone anywhere. It has equalized: Wikipedia -" Heat death does not imply any particular absolute temperature; it only requires that temperature differences or other processes may no longer be exploited to perform work. In the language of physics, this is when the universe reaches thermodynamic equilibrium (maximum entropy)."

This wont be happening any time soon :smile: If at all. Its very speculative - It would necessitate the universe being a closed system for a start.

What is more interesting is, as the earth heats up how will the increase in entropy effect everything? Is it already having an effect?
  • Gregory

Entropy was never zero at any time. The chaos that existed in the entropy before proper time was enough for some type of energy to start inflation. I don't know exactly what kind of energy was then required
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.