• Yohan
    I'm wondering what method people use to do philosophy.
    Off the top of my head I formulated a method that is similar to the scientific method.
    Clarify what I want to know.
    Establish criteria for testing/filtering an answer.
    Seek an answer anywhere, everywhere (search your imagination, the world, and the thoughts of others etc)
    Test it
    Keep refining the question and seeking answers until you find something that is consistent with all criteria.

I'm especially interested in developing a thorough criteria for filtering possibilities. Has anyone listed the criteria before?
    I remember reading a list before. It included:
    Clear, simple, complete, relevant, necessary, consistent (if I remember)

I imagine if you are good at asking relevant questions, good at coming up with possibilities, and good at applying critical thinking to the possibilities, and have enthusiasm, sincerity, and willpower, you could find the truth?

I think for myself I often fail to ensure my questions make sense, or miss some possibility, or get satisfied with an answer too quickly

I don't know I suspect I'm way oversimplifying philosophy. I often feel it's hopeless to find an ultimate truth because I'm not going about it the right way.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.