• TheMadFool
    Determinism is the belief that any event, the way it turns out, is fixed and can't be otherwise by relevant events that precede said event.

Determinism is, in my humble opinion, completely reliant on observations of the natural world where, indeed, as claimed, there's a causal connection between events such that past events shape the future in ways that "preclude" any deviation from established patterns of matter-energy interaction.

The concept of causality supervenes on the principle of the uniformity of nature. If there's no uniformity it implies there are no patterns and if there are no patterns, causality which is a pattern becomes meaningless.

However, the principle of the uniformity of nature suffers from a serious flaw viz. it can't be proven deductively which is, in different words, the problem of induction. Simply put, there's an unignorable uncertainty in re the principle of the uniformity of nature. By that token, causality too is rendered uncertain. Doesn't it follow then that determinism, at the very least, is somewhat less credible than it's made out to be?

Free will finds a cozy niche in the inherent uncertainty of causality which itself is implied by the problem of induction. No?
  • Huh
    What exactly is free will?
  • javi2541997

According to Britannica: Free will, in humans, the power or capacity to choose among alternatives or to act in certain situations independently of natural, social, or divine restraints.

I guess you were asking for the concept.
  • Huh
    What exactly is choosing?
  • javi2541997

The right or opportunity of opt in different alternatives.
  • TheMadFool
    What exactly is free will?Huh

According to Britannica: Free will, in humans, the power or capacity to choose among alternatives or to act in certain situations independently of natural, social, or divine restraints.

I guess you were asking for the concept.
    javi2541997

What exactly is choosing?Huh

Given, say, two mutually exclusive choices, A and B.

To want one of A and B is what choosing is.
  • Huh
    Are choices already in your head, do you actually contribute anything to them,
    Are you just observing choices that are already made?
  • TheMadFool
    Are choices already in your head, do you actually contribute anything to them,
    Are you just observing choices that are already made?
    Huh

Choices can be purely mental/internal as when I have concepts/hypotheses/beliefs to choose from and exclusively worldly/external as when I'm asked to choose among physical objects put before me.
  • Huh
    are mental/internal choices hardwired?
    Why aren't people born knowing everything?
    Why would nature not abuse such a thing?
    Is knowing nothing better than knowing something?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment