• Joshs
    I noticed that Mel Baggs passed away recently( actually it was a year ago. )

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/28/health/mel-baggs-dead.amp.html

Mel was a remarkable advocate for the autistic community who created a powerful video to introduce neuro-typicals to what Mel
    called hir ‘language’. I’m posting that video here because I think it challenges us to re-consider what constitutes language. To what extent is an immediate relationship with our non-human surroundings a language?

• Pop
    To what extent is an immediate relationship with our non-human surroundings a language?Joshs

Language is communication. Without the narrative the video would not have communicated much to me. With the narrative, what was communicated was something profoundly different! But I think what you are getting at is that a relationship entails communication, so it is a language. Which would mean the way we live our lives is a language. Yes I suppose that is true. The way an artist paints in art has long been understood as a language; their style is their language, regardless of their intention, regardless of what they achieve.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.