• Huh
    Is success more influenced by luck or skill?
  • 180 Proof
    Successful people seem to cultivate a skillset for 'getting' lucky (i.e. being always ready to seize opportunities when they happen upon them at the right time and in the right place). Exactly what that skillset is? Let me know if you find out.
  • Jack Cummins

Success may also be an attitude of mind towards achievement and, this involves the basis from which we decide whether we are successful or not.
  • Pinprick

I’d go with luck, because luck even determines what skills we have, at least to an extent, via DNA.
  • Sir2u
    Before I answer, could you give us a definition of luck.
  • Huh
    Randomness a lack of control
  • Pantagruel
    Is success more influenced by luck or skill?Huh

What is your definition of "success"?

↪Huh Before I answer, could you give us a definition of luck.Sir2u

I think luck is pretty unambiguous, sums up in the "right place at the right time" chesnut, no?
  • Huh
    success, anything you want to achieve.
  • Huh
    Ability to discern truth and ability to distort it?
  • Pantagruel
    success, anything you want to achieve.Huh

Hmm. Doesn't that seem to be a kind of task-oriented or episodic definition? Whereas "success" usually connotes ongoing and in-the-balance or cumulative achievement in a variety of different types of tasks.
  • Ying
    There are many skillful people who go unnoticed but how many lucky people are bereft of success?
  • Sir2u
    I think luck is pretty unambiguous, sums up in the "right place at the right time" chesnut, no?Pantagruel

No. I usually define luck as the collision of time, location and circumstance, but it includes good and bad types. For someone driving south while a drunk is driving north could mean that bad luck, an accident, occurs because he is in the right place at the right time.
  • 180 Proof
    Success?

"You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from." ~Cormac McCarthy

:death: :flower:
  • Sir2u
    Not sure where I saw this but it makes one think.

" The man thought that he was the luckiest guy in the world when he married his high school sweetheart. They had 20 years of marriage as they both got chubby.

Then he went to the school's 25 reunion and found out that the girl that had a crush on him but he had rejected because she came from a poor family. She had become a multi-millionaire and looked as though she had only aged a couple of years.
    And she had stayed single waiting for mister right to come along"
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.