• JacobPhilosophy
    So I've nearly finished reading "The Life You Can Save", by Peter Singer, in which he outlines his main argument and thought experiment in support of effective altruism as a moral obligation.

He claims that we are morally obliged to save a drowning child, even if we were to damage our trainers, as the life of a child far exceeds the price of trainers or a nice suit in value. He therefore concludes that, in the same manner, whenever we choose to buy something in which it would not nearly have as negative of an effect to not have than the death of a child, we act immorally through omission, exactly as we would in the thought experiment. Key things to consider are: immorality through omission, rather than only comission; and the idea that we are still obliged to intervene where we can, even if we did not cause or bring about the situation in which we must intervene.

I am not asking anyone to accept this argument, but, given that it is true, aren't the implications that supererogatory goods do not exist? Doesn't this make it impossible to do something "more than duty", if we are obliged to act in every way we can until if we acted more we would be sacrificing something as great or greater than that which we could prevent? In this utilitarian, calculable fashion? When I think of examples of supererogatory goods, charitable giving is the first that comes to mind. If Singer is right that philanthropy is in fact obligation, then doesn't this eliminate the possibility for supererogation?

Note: Effective altruism also holds that one is obliged to use time and money by giving to charities that will bring about the most good, so volunteering as an example of supererogation could arguably be considered going against the obligation of effective altruism, as your time could be spent on something that would bring about greater good or money that could be sent to the poor in the long run. (And yes, it is these implications that are somewhat leading me to reject Peters altruism as obligation theory. I have always believed that it is only wrong to cause something, or to not prevent something that was brought about by one's own fault).
  • Tom Storm
    I think Singer's book (which I read years ago) is intended to be a provocation. I give a percentage of my money away every year to various causes I have chosen. I am privileged and I benefit from the suffering of others. I do additional things as opportunities present and consider altruism to be a never settled affair, as I am sure Singer does. I think in the end most altruism is self-interested.
  • JacobPhilosophy
    Interesting. He only asks for 5% of annual income to be given to the right charities.

I feel that self-interest doesn't rule out moral obligation. My meta-ethucal position is largely Egoist and Utilitarian with a little Contractarianism thrown in, but I still believe that there are ways in which we ought to act, and that if we do not then we are acting imorrally. Also, I wouldn't say that benefitting from others' suffering is the same as causing it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.