• Zenny
    @Fooloso4 What if eternity is a an intuition,a feeling,an experience?
  • Fooloso4

What if it is? And what if it's not?

I have had no such intuition or feeling or experience.

Not every intuition or feeling or experience I have had turned out to be reliable.
  • Zenny
    @Fooloso4 There is still time!!!
    Do you feel plato experienced this feeling. Or do you think he was striving for this through his dialectics?
  • Fooloso4

I just completed a long essay in several parts on Plato's Phaedo. Read it and get back to me if you want to discuss Plato.

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/10914/platos-phaedo/p1
  • Zenny
    @Fooloso4 I followed that thread before i joined.
    Plato does seem mighty keen on "proving" eternity?
    What do you think the reason is for that?
  • Fooloso4
    I followed that thread before i joined.
    Plato does seem mighty keen on "proving" eternity?
    Zenny

If you followed the thread with sufficient attention you would not have asked the question.
  • Zenny
    @Fooloso4 Maybe I missed that part.
    You suggest he experienced eternity or hunkered for it?
  • Fooloso4
    You suggest he experienced eternity or hunkered for it?Zenny

I suggest you read the posts. You have time. It's long but won't take an eternity.
  • Zenny
    @Fooloso4 Ha ha! OK,I will be back!
  • god must be atheist
    Why do theists hope there is a god?

It can work out only for the worse.

If and only if there is eternal life after death, then it's eternal boredom that will lead to eternal suffering even in heaven. Man has been created to enjoy change and not monotony; living lifelong a million times sure will take out all the joy there is in life. Living life infinite times, is going to be worse than hell if you get to heaven, and it's going to be worse than heaven, if you get to hell.

I really, but really don't understand why theists (at least the Christian and the Muslim ones) pray to go to heaven, which is only possible if god really exists and exists in ways their religion describes him.

Muslims: they get 49 virgins at death, if they do a good job of living in life. 49 virgins can be turned to 49 non-virgins in a very short time. And 50 years later you will have 49 women who are past their prime. At 200 years of celebrating life in heaven, the devout Muslim will have 49 prunes, and at a 1999999 years mark in heaven, the poor sap wished he had never been born in the first place.

No, I hope there is no god. That is my only wish and hope, everything else is happenstence and acceptable to some degree. And I am amazed, truly amazed, at the stupidity of those who hope god(s) exist(s).
  • god must be atheist
    What if eternity is a an intuition,a feeling,an experience?Zenny

No time involved??? Then what is eternity if there is not time involved? The very meaning of eternity involves infinite time. Why would it be an intuition, a feeling, an experience? From our point of view eternity is a concept, nobody around here has experienced it.

Really.
  • Zenny
    @god must be atheist Who said eternity doesn't involve time? It means continuous unending time.
    And why can't that be experienced?
  • god must be atheist
    Indeed. I've challenged many atheists on this site to start threads and they were all afraid to do so. I'm not sure why these discussions are so emotionally charged for them.3017amen

You are so inept, 3017amen, that you completely misread human reactions. We do not start new threads, true. But it's not due to fear. It is due to our foreknowledge of our complete inability to get through to you, because you surround your mind with a senseless, reasonless, stupid religiosity.

And let's say we got through to your mind. Scary thought, but we are not afraid; we just know now, before even we start, that we would find nothing but endless stupidity, infinite ignorance, and not an iota of any ability to listen to, or to express reason.

In a way I admire you: you are so stupid, that nothing in the world is threatening to you, you lack the imagination needed for paranoia, you lack the insight to know you are wrong, and you lack the reasoning ability to see when you are proven wrong.

It is Christ who said, "Happy are the stupid, for they shalt inherit the Earth." Heck, you do a hundred times better than that; you are so stupid NOW, way before the alleged judgment day, that the world is your oyster, for no other reason but for your stupidity.
  • god must be atheist
    Show me the dictionary definition. "Continuous unending time" has no end. To experience it, you need to live the entire span of it, which is infinity. Do you now, or have you ever, experienced infinity in time? Yes or no.

You are new here. Are you another stupid one, like 3017Amen? If you are, you can't hide it for too long. The truth will out.
  • Zenny
    @god must be atheist You think life is a dictionary definition?! You don't understand as your wedded to dogmatic conceptions.
    Yes,I've experienced eternity,continously as well.
    Since when was the truth a particular conception only?
    Your defensiveness shows your fear and anxiety of eternity. Or for you,let's say life after death.
  • Zenny
    The reactions of some atheists to a discussion is a proof itself of fear.
  • god must be atheist
    You think life is a dictionary definition?!Zenny

Aha. Strawman. You are stupid.

Yes,I've experienced eternity,continously as well.Zenny

You're delusional as well. Or perhaps you have a very good supplier.

Since when was the truth a particular conception only?Zenny

You are denying that truth is unique. You are implying therefore that it's possible that two contradictory statements can both be true. Therefore you are either stupid, or delusional, or both, but you sure don't accept the law of excluded middle and the law of non-contradiction.

Your defensiveness shows your fear and anxiety of eternity. Or for you,let's say life after death.Zenny

My fear and anxiety of eternity is not at all a source of defensiveness. They are real, and they are caused by clearly seeing what eternal life means and all its accoutrements. And if you see any defensiveness in my text, it's again your delusionary nature, my friend.

--------------------------

Unless you behave and think like a philosopher, you have no place here. I'm sure there is a place for you somewhere, Zenny, but it's not here, that's for sure.
  • Fooloso4
    Who said eternity doesn't involve time? It means continuous unending time.
    And why can't that be experienced?
    Zenny

You cannot experience a minute in less that a minute, or an hour in less than an hour, or 100 years in less than a hundred years. For the same reason you cannot experience eternity in less time.
  • god must be atheist
    Zenny, you came here a bit better prepared than 3017Amen or Apollodufus. You have at least an arsenal of expressions, or maybe not an arsenal but a few shots, which are demeaning and have a psychological effect on your debating opponents. You have used a few: declaring laughter which was unwarranted and probably false, against Fooloso4 and calling my stance defensive. These are cheap tricks, my dear friend, and any person with any amount of maturity will see though your tactic. You call others angry and fearful, but you lack the punch because you can't support with any degree of credibility that we are fearful, defensive, or angry.

Your problem is that you are not used to debate with thinkers. You are most likely used to debate with people who are impressionable to emotive put-downs.

We are not like that. We are thinkers here. You start behaving like a thinker, or else you will be targeted for your fallacious thinking, your ill logic, your wrong reasons, and for your appeal (or attempts to appeal) to emotions.
  • god must be atheist
    The reactions of some atheists to a discussion is a proof itself of fear.Zenny

That's a statement of no consequence. You did not support it. You just blurted out an opinion which you wish would be true. I think chances are you are unaware of what constitutes a reasoned, supported opinion and how to write one.

Let's say the opinion you wrote is true. At least you should believe so. Now gather all the quotes that show, or evidence to a reasoned person, that our reaction to a discussion (any discussion) is a proof of fear.

If you can do that, then do it. That way you will garner some respect around here. Right now, without having done that, you are nothing but an angry, intimidated nincompoop in the eyes of those who belong here.
  • 3017amen
    We do not start new threads, true. But it's not due to fear. It is due to our foreknowledge of our complete inability to get through to you, because you surround your mind with a senseless, reasonless, stupid religiosity.god must be atheist

Ahh...aaahhh...okay?

Think of it this way, those of you who continue to insist God does not exist (which is false in the face of Christianity), should start threads, rather than troll honest threads that want to explore the philosophical reasoning associated with a God's existence.

By virtue of your trolling (180, Tim wood, etc..) you have effectly put yourself in a precarious and untenable position of having to defend your belief system (or value system)... . Nobody asked you to troll. Otherwise, much like the other fanatical atheists on this site you would be considered a person who instigates conflict, hostility, and uses inflammatory messages to provoke emotional responses out of people, disrupting otherwise civil discussion.

In this instance, a civil discussion or debate would require you or anyone who is not comfortable with their belief system to, shall we say, put up or shut up. The atheist's on this site tend to just blow smoke, and get all emotional and defensive, not sure why...

In my experience, I've seen many fanatical atheists embrace the meme that says if you can't attack the issues, you attack the person. In any event, I'll be happy to debate any atheist one-on-one, on this site, arguing any of the EOG topics out there... .

Thanks
  • tim wood
    Think of it this way, those of you who continue to insist God does not exist (which is false in the face of Christianity), should start threads, rather than troll honest threads that want to explore the philosophical reasoning associated with a God's existence.3017amen

If that were what you had been doing, I think no one would have troubled you. But it's not. But we can try right here. What exactly do you mean by "the philosophical reasoning associated with a God's existence"? I ask because I have no idea what you mean.

you have effectly put yourself in a precarious and untenable position of having to defend your belief system3017amen
    And here, e.g., you have been repeatedly advised that atheism is not a belief system, though perhaps being one for some. You even suppose that I am an atheist, though told more than once I am not.

Invitation sent, door open.....
  • 180 Proof
    Round earthers don't "hope" there isn't a flat earth. :roll:
    Wtf. :lol:

Once again for the slow (or disingenuous & panicking) ones like 3017troll, Apollodoofus, Benj96, Zippy, Barftrix...

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/537031

Just asking this question displays an ignorance of what atheism is.DingoJones
    :100: :up:
  • Tom Storm
    I don’t know why this question has gotten 13 pages of mileage.
    Asking if atheists hope there is no god is like asking if atheists like vanilla ice cream. They may or may not, as like their taste in ice cream whether or not they hope god doesn’t exist will vary with each individual.
    Hoping whether god exists or not isn’t definitive of atheism, what’s definitive of atheism is whether or not you believe there is a god and that’s it.
    Some atheists might like the idea of god bit just are not convinced there actually is one. Other atheists are anti-theists and reject that there being a god is a good thing.

Just asking this question displays an ignorance of what atheism is.
    DingoJones

Nice work - agree. A lot of people who have been socialized into religions seem unable to even hear the definition in order to grasp it and seem willfully culpable of misrepresenting atheism wherever possible in order to trash the idea with some interpretive smear or another. Of course many atheists do similar things to theism, so I guess it's par for the course...
  • DingoJones
    Nice work - agree. A lot of people who have been socialized into religions seem unable to even hear the definition in order to grasp it and seem willfully culpable of misrepresenting atheism wherever possible in order to trash the idea with some interpretive smear or another. Of course many atheists do similar things to theism, so I guess it's par for the course...Tom Storm

Yes, dishonest argumentation knows no group boundaries Im afraid.
    It’s the nature of the internet too...it’s pretty easy to wiki or google an argument for or against whatever you choose and repeat it without really understanding it. You see it a lot with logical fallacies, people are always making accusations of ad hom or argument from authority without really understanding the fallacy.
    It’s strange when you find atheists who are dogmatic about it...you would think coming to atheism requires some thought but alas many come to it through anger at religion as well. Understandable of course given religions horrors but not a sound process.

As to the religious...well they already believe in fairy tales and myths so expecting an honest, straightforward conversation is a long shot from the get go. They have already drawn their conclusion and all argumentation is just a attempt to rationalize that conclusion. This of course is the exact wrong way to come to conclusions.
  • 180 Proof
    As to the religious...well they already believe in fairy tales and myths so expecting an honest, straightforward conversation is a long shot from the get go. They have already drawn their conclusion and all argumentation is just a attempt to rationalize that conclusion. This of course is the exact wrong way to come to conclusions.DingoJones
    :smirk: :clap:
  • Zenny
    @god must be atheist Really,those are your responses?
    You show your vitriol and lack of insight with every post. Argument my pompous anger and fear!
  • Zenny
    @Fooloso4 Read my post. You can experience a feeling of eternity. Your post has nothing to do with what I wrote.
    And I suppose you don't distinguish between felt time and clock time?
  • Fooloso4
    Read my post. You can experience a feeling of eternity.Zenny

Your feeling has nothing to do with what might happen when you die. You seem to have lost track of your own argument.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.