• TheMadFool
    Maajid Nawaz

Too, one of the aims of judicial punishment short of execution is to give criminals an opportunity to see the error of their ways and reform.
  • god must be atheist
    You call them as you see them based on what?synthesis

On what I see.
  • synthesis
    On what I see.god must be atheist

Judgments are influenced by prevailing moral standards, no?.
  • DingoJones
    What if a vicious serial killer tripped on his way back from his most recent depravity and incurred a serious head injury. He is found and taken to the hospital where he lays in a coma for several months. When he awakes he has no memory of his past deeds. He recovers and spends the remainder of his life helping the poor and downtrodden. If evidence arises linking him to the crimes he committed should he be prosecuted.Steve Leard

I think it depends on the nature of the head injury. If it’s only memory loss then I would say they are still morally responsible but there is lots of data now where brain injury can drastically alter someones personality. If the head i jury has done this to such a degree that the person cannot reasonably considered the same person then it becomes less clear what moral responsibility the person has for the actions of what is essentially another person.
  • T Clark
    there is no effective treatment for psychopathic personalities.Bitter Crank

Elect them president.
  • Steve Leard
    Thanks for that T Clark.. First chuckle today and its been a long day.
  • fishfry
    What if a vicious serial killer tripped on his way back from his most recent depravity and incurred a serious head injury. He is found and taken to the hospital where he lays in a coma for several months. When he awakes he has no memory of his past deeds. He recovers and spends the remainder of his life helping the poor and downtrodden. If evidence arises linking him to the crimes he committed should he be prosecuted.Steve Leard

None other than Bill Clinton personally executed a guy just like that. Ricky Ray Rector shot a cop in Arkansas then put the gun to his own head and fired. He didn't die, but he lost enough brain function to have no memory of knowledge of what he had done. During the 1992 presidential campaign, Clinton didn't want to appear "soft on crime" so as governor of the state he insisted that Rector be executed. Clinton personally flew back to Arkansas from the campaign trail to witness the execution. Rector had so little mental function that he saved half of his last meal "to eat later."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Ray_Rector
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.