• Pantagruel
    I know that my posts tend towards the terse and maybe cryptic. I think this is because my "voluminous" phase is in the past. For me now, it's all about assimilating wisdom.

However while looking for some stuff I wrote relating to a current thread discussing Kahneman and Tversky and cognitive habits (which was one of my core themes) I came across a blog that I wrote towards the tail end of my voluminous phase. So here's a sample of a more in-depth excursion that looks at the "apotheosis of consciousness" and attempts to bypass the naturalistic fallacy. It's kind of fun.

http://selfcreation.blogspot.com/2005/05/realization-of-transcendent-self.html
  • Pantagruel
    I'm pretty pleased at how well that piece from 15 years ago stands up. I still see my core beliefs there.

Which coincides with what I'm working on now. Lately I've begun to realize and understand that we are our beliefs. Our beliefs are the entirety of our being. One can understand this completely, and yet, trying to elaborate what these are, find them either trite and mundane, or nebulous and elusive, hard to pin down or specify.

And so they should be. Heidegger says "the more comprehensive a concept is in its scope...the more indeterminate and empty is its content" (Introduction to Metaphysics, p. 43) So, in fact, knowing that beliefs are the basis of being, we reach the point of the pure indetermination of content. I know that I am both the product and the author of my beliefs. I know that I exist. Cogito ergo sum.

Relative to another thread, for example, this would explain why people need religious beliefs; they need religious beliefs to found their being when they themselves are incapable of doing so. Either you assume responsibility for your own being, or you accept a whole lot of doctrinal gibberish that does nothing to fill in the gaps between obeyances.

Glory, for the Greeks, is the highest manner of being....Glory means doxa [which is "belief"]....I show myself, I appear, I step into the light. (Introduction to Metaphysics, p. 108)

The being of believing, the being of believers, the being of belief.
    (I realize I also posted this on another thread but, it really fit there even though it was conceived here).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.