• Tom Storm
    Sometimes spending time off by ourselves can also develop good or efficiency to others or the community itself.javi2541997

Indeed. I hear you. Guilt effects even super-brains.

I, however, am not John Locke or the Buddha, for that matter - my time spent alone is only beneficial to me (potentially) and to no one else (unless you count those happy that I am not around :wink:) I have nothing to offer humanity by my solitude.
  • javi2541997

my time spent alone is only beneficial to me (potentially) and to no one else

Then, I have to say you are in the right path. Expending time in just our beneficial purposes is one of the best things we can do. Time is something immaterial that can provides us some good or bad experiences. When you are using it for your own benefits you are not wasting it because in the long run will be so worthy for you. But imagine for a minute wasting your time helping others and then they do not valour it. I guess this is a waste of time to be honest...
    I remember back in my days of university. My teacher of taxes told us having a boyfriend/girlfriend is not wasting time despite you can end up breaking up because you lived beautiful experiences too.
    I was like meh if you end up breaking up with someone I guess you lost time in something despite you probably win a lot of experience.
  • TheMadFool
    I do not see anything immoral of being lonely.javi2541997

In line with what I already said, the notion of morality is fully predicated on social existence; after all, morality is, at its core, how we treat an other. The issue of the morality/immorality of being alone then boils down to two questions, maybe more:

1. What kind of immoral/moral action am I committing by removing myself from the social equation?

Well, I won't be able to do any good at all since I'm alone and I need someone else to be good to.

The beauty is I won't be able to do bad either for the same reason. Reminds me of prisons and hermits and how that's a method of forcefully isolating criminals from the rest of society.

The conclusion: Both a morally upstanding hermit and a criminal are isolated i.e. are living lonely lives and both for the exact same good reason - not to harm/injure/hurt others.

2. What kind of moral/immoral actions can a person do when alone, isolated from others?

Well, that, for me, is a deep topic - we have to, quite literally, construct, from scratch, a moral theory that doesn't involve groups/communities/socieities i.e. a morality that deals exclusively with what a person does to faerself and not others. Perhaps, if nothing else, such a "selfish" morality will provide insights into a vexing issue for the modern world viz. the rising suicide rates.
  • javi2541997

What kind of moral/immoral actions can a person do when alone, isolated from others?

As you clearly explained previously this a deep topic to debate about. I guess (mathematically) it is impossible to make immoral actions when you are isolate since the moment you have zero relations with others. So, if I am alone and do not have connection with others, then I don't even have the opportunity to make immoral decisions towards others. I think the core component here is the inner thoughts of the isolated person. How would affect him the act of isolating himself from others? it reminds me more or less of Stanley Kubrick's film The Shinning where the main character went in craziness after a period of time (well this symbolic film it is a good debate itself).

the rising suicide rates.

This is one of the modern problems in Japan. They even created recently a new ministry to prevent suicides due to loneliness. It is even a paradox because Japan is a overcrowded country with 126,5 millions of people but somehow it looks like they do not promote social interaction and then tend to live alone.
  • TheMadFool
    this a deep topicjavi2541997

I say this is a "deep topic" because we have a question, "what moral/immoral actions can I, when alone, commit?" but it excludes the very essence of morality as is currently understood viz. we need at least two people for morality to make sense. Perhaps, the question is meaningless but who knows? To my knowledge, no moral theory has a good enough explanation why suicide is immoral despite insisting to no end that it is.
  • javi2541997

we need at least two people for morality to make sense.

Interesting! Because you defend morality is an act which necessarily needs a reciprocity. I never thought it that way because I always feel that morality is something that abstract which is inside the inner thoughts of each person. There are even people who don't even believe in morality at all so probably those don't want to share it with others.
    Also agree with you in this point:
    To my knowledge, no moral theory has a good enough explanation why suicide is immoral despite insisting to no end that it is.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.