• John Davis
    Hello. 1. The first duty of a state is to defend (militarily?) its citizens. 2. The second duty of a state is to institute a system of 'law'. 3. The first duty of a citizen is to obey the law.
    I seem to remember these statements from citizenship classes, decades ago. Can anyone tell me if they have any basis of historical authority?
  • javi2541997
    1. The first duty of a state is to defend (militarily?) its citizens.John Davis

They first duty of a state should be provide employment and food to their citizens.
  • Count Timothy von Icarus
    I'm not aware of anything explicitly about this, but this is generally how citizenship in Greek city states worked. The polis' most important function was organizing common defense and a system of laws for adjudicating disputes and property rights.

This obviously shifted over time though. Athens during its "golden age" was using a significant portion of its annual income on public works and art. There were also social services including medicine provided for the poor in many Greek states.

I don't know how much the idea really equates to other areas. The Greeks, and later Rome had a key distinction between citizens and free foreigners living in their lands, or slaves.

For a lot of history civilizations essentially just defined citizenship as living in area controlled by a given monarch.

Certainly medieval thought framed the responsibilities of the state and citizens far more in religious terms and appeals to natural law vis-a-vis God's will than appeals to citizenship as a concept.
  • John Davis
    CTvI. Thank you for an informative contribution.
  • synthesis
    They first duty of a state should be provide employment and food to their citizens.javi2541997

Where is the state going to get the resources to provide employment and food for its citizens?
  • Tobias
    Of course it has no basis is historical authority. It is a normative statement the kind of which citizenship classes seem to love so much. It is actually rather militaristic. There is some sort of a legal basis for it though. In international law state sovereignty is recognized if it is able to defend its borders. (I belief, but I am jo expert).
  • javi2541997
    Where is the state going to get the resources to provide employment and food for its citizensynthesis

From the revenue of the tax income. Thus, citizens effort to maintain the state. But the revenue obtained shouldn’t be invest in military services I guess
  • tim wood
    The first duty of a state.... The second duty of a state....John Davis

Probably best to start with a clear statement of what you think a (the) state is. And I am pretty sure that answer might vary around the world, whatever lip-service some might pay to certain ideals. In the US it's "We the people...". In other western countries I am not sure what it would be. But it seems to me for this thread we need at least a starting point, even if in our collective genius we move away from and refine and correct it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.