• SophistiCat
    Why does it contradict our common experience?Tombob

I went to some pains to explain why.

Besides, the idea of time and space relating to (1) contradicts scientific facts.Tombob

No, it doesn't. Our best cosmology hasn't delivered a verdict on whether the past is infinite, and it likely never will have a definitive answer to that question.

I was talking about time: "Imagine a growing number with an infinite past, that has been increasing each second of its existence." The concept implies physical impossibility, thus existing as an abstracticality, while our reality is existing as physical.Tombob

Just because you managed to contrive a nonsensical model of an infinite past doesn't mean that you have proven a physical impossibility. I went to some pains to explain that, too.

To assume space-time cannot be caused, is to assume (1).Tombob

No, to assume that space-time cannot be caused is to use the word "cause" in its usual sense. Causation is something that happens in space-time. But there is no implication from here to the topology of space-time.

While I am recognizing (2) as a possibility, I see it as highly unlikely. Where everything happens for a reason, it would be intuitively reasonable to assume space-time happened for a reason.Tombob

"Reason" and "cause" are not synonymous. "Reason" is a much broader and vaguer notion. Even then, the proposition that everything happens for a reason is controversial, especially if you take it to its logical limit. I for one don't believe it.

And you seem to be dropping something essential, that has a commonly understood meaning; Big Bang.Tombob

Huh? When did I do that? I didn't even mention Big Bang. Are you, by any chance, under the impression that Big Bang is your fantastical "infinite state"? It's nothing like that (not that there could be anything like that).
  • Tombob

I will spare you the pain.
  • Banno
    Point is, your OP is a combination of archaic philosophy and bad physics.

Someone comes along here to present much the same sort of "original" theory about once a month. It doesn't usually turn out well.
  • jgill
    Humans created the expression of 'time and space', but the motion of time and space itself exists regardless of human existenceTombob

I assume you meant "notion" instead of "motion". Did you? Do you have any idea of what you are talking about? Just curious. :chin:
  • Tombob

Time and space is in motion. For example: it is expanding.
  • Present awareness
    a) I exclude 1 considering physical measurements would not be possible in such circumstances. Why? Because physical measurements need a starting point, which 1 lacks.Tombob

The starting point of time is the present moment, simply because nothing may be measured sooner then “now”. “Now” is the zero point which gives the concept of time context. Time stretches out in both directions, past and future, for infinity, simply because the present moment is infinite. It’s always the present moment no matter what time it is! Like the end of a tape measure, “now” is the zero point which we use to measure any duration of time. The Big Bang happed so many billions of years ago from “now”.
  • SimpleUser
    "Now" for a real person is already in the past. The transmission of a nerve impulse does not occur instantaneously.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.