• Banno
    it does say that, it just tries to hide itMikeListeral

Suppose your meme is right.

When science invokes its invisible forces, we get iPhones and airplanes.

What do you get when you invoke religion's invisible forces?
  • skyblack
    What do you get when you invoke religion's invisible forces?Banno

No skin in the game, but just for the heck of it, you will get the peace that passeth all understanding, if you are lucky. Then you may not have to live and die like a dog, that get's kicked around by the very same things/people that you beg to invoke. But again, i have no investments in this...
  • Cheshire
    by showing science is based in magic we eliminate scientism and materialismMikeListeral
    In order to make that implication you have to follow a scientific principle of falsification. You are using science to disprove it. The moment your right, your wrong.
  • MikeListeral
    In order to make that implication you have to follow a scientific principle of falsification.Cheshire

there's more to life then logic my friend
  • MikeListeral
    What do you get when you invoke religion's invisible forces?Banno

billion seem to be getting something from it

social and emotional benefits
  • MikeListeral
    Yes, you seem to be doing a great job educating yourself. Glad to be of help.skyblack

im doing a great job at debunking you guys

you just dont know it yet, cuz your a slow learner lol
  • skyblack
    im doing a great job at debunking you guys

you just dont know it yet, cuz your a slow learner lol
    MikeListeral

I know you're slow, kitty kat, Otherwise you would have noticed yours truly stands alone ( not part of a you guys). Now come back to daddy when he isn't busy, huh.
  • MikeListeral
    I know you're slow, kitty kat, Otherwise you would have noticed yours truly stands alone. Now come back to daddy when he isn't busy, huh.skyblack

I know you're slow, kitty kat, Otherwise you would have noticed yours truly stands alone. Now come back to daddy when he isn't busy, huh.
  • skyblack
    chicken shit alert @180 Proof
  • Cheshire
    there's more to life then logic my friendMikeListeral
    Yeah, there's a trick of the mind called free association and confusing the two is ill advised. There's also the host of irrational things and suspension of disbelief. However, I think you may have just wanted to evade the point and believe yourself mysterious.
  • skyblack

That's why i stared by saying "copy cat", there ya go. Now choke on that evidence.
  • MikeListeral
    That's why i stared by saying "copy cat"skyblack

stop copying me
  • MikeListeral
    Yeah, there's a trick of the mind called free association and confusing the two is ill advised. There's also the host of irrational things and suspension of disbelief. However, I think you may have just wanted to evade the point and believe yourself mysterious.Cheshire

you using logic to prove there isnt more to life then logic?

lol

stop thinking and open your eyes and look around
  • 180 Proof
    I see ... :smirk:
  • Kenosha Kid
    I think there are claims though that, right or wrong, cannot be determined by science, not because we do not possess the instruments or resources to do so (as would be the case for a flying spaghetti monster), but because in principle they cannot be investigated this way. It is in the nature of these claims to be unfalsifiable.darthbarracuda

There may well be, but I don't think these would lend themselves well to theological explanation. The usual candidates are morality and self, both of which science is making headway in. But I'm second-guessing when I can just ask you... What did you have in mind?
  • Kenosha Kid
    Ah... but they still have the 'hard problem of consciousness' and quantum mystery gaps to keep them engaged for some time.Tom Storm

:lol:
  • Cheshire
    you using logic to prove there isnt more to life then logic?

lol

stop thinking and open your eyes and look around
    MikeListeral

No, I didn't do that actually. I agreed and then pointed out this tactic of yours of assuming there's level of awareness you have elevated yourself to for reasons I'll never know.
  • MikeListeral
    there's level of awareness you have elevated yourself toCheshire

its called wisdom and enlightenment
  • Cheshire
    When you reach it you'll understand the vastness of your ignorance and start appreciating others life long study of their interests.
  • skyblack

Form the profile picture it seems Chicken shit seems to confused about her gender now.
  • MikeListeral
    When you reach it you'll understand the vastness of your ignorance and start appreciating others life long study of their interests.Cheshire

i have reached it and i understand the vastness of your ignorance lol

when you reach it you will understand the vastness of my knoweldge.

haha
  • Cheshire
    The wisest man that ever lived claimed he knew nothing.
  • MikeListeral
    The wisest man that ever lived claimed he knew nothing.Cheshire

the statement contradicts itself. if he knew nothing he wouldnt know it, or say it
  • Banno
    social and emotional benefitsMikeListeral

Yep. That's my point.
  • MikeListeral
    The wisest man that ever lived claimed he knew nothing.Cheshire

“The fish trap exists because of the fish. Once you've gotten the fish you can forget the trap. The rabbit snare exists because of the rabbit. Once you've gotten the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words exist because of meaning. Once you've gotten the meaning, you can forget the words. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words so I can talk with him?” -Chuang Tzu
  • MikeListeral
    Yep. That's my point.Banno

social and emotional benefits are often more important then physical benefits
  • MikeListeral
    SO what.Banno

so religion is just as important as science
  • Banno
    SO your argument for religious belief is that it gives you friends and happiness.

SO does a bottle of Scotch.
  • Cheshire
    Probably an art exhibit or concert hall. There are plenty of ways to convey meaning. But, again this seems like a diversion from a diversion of an obvious error I pointed out regarding this silly campaign to demonstrate the "magical" nature of science. Which is the demonstration is misguided in that it doesn't show the third option of needless self-aggrandizement is a worth while endeavor. Been there and done that; it's a distraction.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.