• Shawn
    Why didn't ol' Socrates just say whether my actions contributed to the benefit or detriment of the state and simply expose the thirty tyrants?

We wouldn't be associating him with a martyr any bit had this been explicitly asked to his defense?
  • Valentinus
    The charge was brought forward as corrupting youths. And he more or less accepted that he was guilty as charged. A struggle between generations, if you will.
  • Shawn

Different times, eh?
  • Valentinus

Maybe not so much.
  • Gus Lamarch
    And he more or less accepted that he was guilty as charged.Valentinus

"Honor" is a concept that is currently unknown.
  • Valentinus

I disagree.
    What was done by removing our enemies requires something else. That is the central thesis in Plato's Republic.
  • Gus Lamarch
    I disagree.Valentinus

Honor is one of the noblest principles that a logical and rational conscience can get. It is no accident that the ancient Greeks focused so much on their traditions.

A man without honor is the same as an irrational animal.

We have intelect, and we have the consciousness needed to know that we have intelect, therefore, we shouldn't act only by our instincts.

Apollonian vs Dionysian, or as we label it:

"Ancient Greece"
  • TheMadFool
    Socrates was never in the business of proving things - he probably considered that quite impossible given how ignorant everyone, including himself, was/is/will be.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.