• young god
    Ancient,

today, even a thousand years counts as 'ancient' but what does it truly mean? Can any historian claim to know the number.

What about fifthy thousand?

or five hundred thousand?

one thing is, when you look up at night,

the stars, are ancient, and the universe that we call our home, is ancient, it's not the future of science fiction, its ancient.

The future is ideas, but we have the past to stand upon.

- countryman

https://countrymansblog.wordpress.com/2019/11/06/a-sunny-day/
  • javi2541997
    The word of “ancient” in our vocabulary dependes a lot in how we established the perception of time around the human evolution. We use today the Gregorian calendar as everyone knows. As you well asked
    What about fifthy thousand?
    or five hundred thousand?
    young god
    I guess this is just order in our perception of reality inside of history.

What I mean here is this: Ancient world is known that historic because it is around “before Christ” time lapse. Everything in history which we have evidence that happened in the past like Greek, Romans or Egyptians and its complexity are organised in “Ancient world” because it was literally an ancient phenomena until the Gregorian calendar appeared, i.e. Mycenaean Greek goes from 1400 to 1200 BF.

So it doesn’t matter here if that villages ever knew they were the “ancient ones”. It is something historian accorded to do for put an order in our chronology.
  • Tom Storm
    Ancient does not refer to a specific timeframe. Generally it means the distant past - which can encompass a very wide period. Words like 'ancient' are thrown around with cavalier imprecision all the time.
  • TheMadFool
    The word "ancient" has two meanings that are, in my humble opinion, absolute and relative. I concede that the word itself has no precise definition and is loosely applied to time periods that extend, at a minimum, to thousands of years but, for some reason, it seems to be restricted to human history and that too to the transitional phase between hunter-gatherer societies and the birth of civilizations. That's the absolute meaning of "ancient".

Coming to the relative definition of "ancient", the word is used to describe time-gaps between two objects, one being recent and the other relatively older. I see young people often use the word "ancient" when they talk about adults and elderly people.

:joke:
  • Anand-Haqq
    . Truth is ancient ...

. You're ancient ...

. You're like a seed ...

. The seed is immortal, it cannot die ...
  • BC
    today, even a thousand years counts as 'ancient' but what does it truly mean?young god

"belonging to the very distant past and no longer in existence" is a useful definition when the word is used FORMALLY.

The Roman Empire is ancient, because it is in the distant past AND it no longer exists. The Papacy is not ancient because, even though it is, what--1500 years old [becoming more significant after the collapse of the RE around 500 AD]--it is still very much in existence. The League of Nations is not ancient. While it no longer exists, it was founded only 100 years ago.

My shopping list from last week is INFORMALLY ancient history.

There are other words available to describe the past:

Pre-cambrian (before 540 Million Years Ago)
    Cambrian (540 – 489 Million Years Ago) ...
    Ordovician (489 – 444 Million Years Ago) ...
    Silurian (444 – 416 Million Years Ago) ...
    Devonian (416 – 360 Million Years Ago) ...
    Carboniferous (360 – 300 Million Years Ago) ...
    Permian (300 – 250 Million Years Ago) ...
    Triassic (250 – 201.6 Million Years Ago)
    Jurassic (201.6 – 145.5 Million Years Ago)
    Cretaceous (145.5 – 65.5 Million Years Ago)
    Tertiary (65.5 – 2.6 Million Years Ago)
    Quaternary (2.6 Million Years Ago – Present)
    Anthropocene Epoch - we are in it

primevil
    primordial
    paleolithic (paleo- older or ancient, especially relating to the geological past
    stone age
    neolithic period
    prehistoric
    bronze age
    iron age
    classical
    medieval
    early modern
    modern
    modern
  • Gus Lamarch
    "belonging to the very distant past and no longer in existence" is a useful definition when the word is used FORMALLY.

The Roman Empire is ancient, because it is in the distant past AND it no longer exists. The Papacy is not ancient because, even though it is, what--1500 years old [becoming more significant after the collapse of the RE around 500 AD]--it is still very much in existence. The League of Nations is not ancient. While it no longer exists, it was founded only 100 years ago.
    Bitter Crank

Well said. :100:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.