• Landoma1
    The universe is finite but without a wall or "the end" sign. There are no dead ends, though when you bump into a black hole your end is secure. You will be radiated into Hawking radiation almost instantly. Information about you, that is. Your last picture.
    Only the space the universe expands within is infinite.
  • Varde
    That's wrong my friend. Even space here is finite. It's a temporary state, our kind of space is null of energy, and thus very cold. I believe you think of space in a different dimensionality that is not of energy, but rather a lack of matter, which is more counter effect of sublime free energy mechanics; well, produced and can be produced in infinite supply- perhaps, I'm not sure of, but no 'space' is infinite.
  • Landoma1

I have never encountered a sign that announces me the end of space.
  • Agent Smith
    According to The Elijah Price/Mr. Glass Principle, at least one actual infinity exists. Considering the universe is the best candidate for an actual infinity because of its size, I'd say, yes, the universe is/hasta be infinite.
  • Varde
    well, space isn't, and neither are solar systems. Perhaps you refer to it's becoming upon it's death, and it's relativity now.
  • Bird-Up
    The Universe is definitely finiteVarde

I'm not aware of any force that is 100% unimpeded by other forces. This would mean that all forces eventually degrade when they hit something. These forces would include visible light, ultraviolet, infrared, etc.

There is not a single section of the night sky that is truly open. Some celestial bodies are bright because they are closer to the Earth. But even the blackness we see is comprised entirely of celestial bodies; they are just so far away that we detect no discernible amount of light. We are looking at an impermeable wall of obstructions with no way to see what is behind the wall.

Because these celestial bodies are (eventually) crowding out our view in every possible direction, we have no way to see or detect things that are very far away from Earth. This creates the illusion that the universe is finite and we are somewhere near the center.

I would still assume that the universe continues infinitely beyond what we can see, because I don't have a credible excuse for why it would come to an end. For all we know, the most interesting parts of the universe are right outside the limits of human detection. This could leave us ultimately ignorant about even the most basic and common characteristics of the universe.
  • Agent Smith
    well, space isn't, and neither are solar systems. Perhaps you refer to it's becoming upon it's death, and it's relativityVarde

How do you know? Because it's still expanding? :chin:
  • Varde
    Agent Smith, formally and foremost, I seen your latest thread went well. Congratulations... I have also noticed that space is not unbound from 'what is' and seems to fold back on itself. There are no vast open space, where no stars exist, they all seem to be evenly scattered throughout.

I imagine that space is expanding because of prospected counter force of super spacial phenom, like a gestalt.
  • universeness
    But infinity is a purely abstract concept. In fact, Mathematics that delves deeply into it seems to be filled with paradoxes.Paul S

I think this is probably correct. You cant draw a straight line on a ball. It would look straight to you if you exist inside or on the surface of the ball but not if you can only see the ball from the outside.
    If you exist on its surface and can't access the 'inside volume.' and our universe is a very very big ball, then to us, it may seem flat and infinite, even when using our best tech.
    I admit this is just armchair, rather simplistic musing but it may also be true.
  • Landoma1
    The universe might expand in an infinite higher dimensional space.
  • Agent Smith
    Agent Smith, formally and foremost, I seen your latest thread went well. Congratulations... I have also noticed that space is not unbound from 'what is' and seems to fold back on itself. There are no vast open space, where no stars exist, they all seem to be evenly scattered throughout.

I imagine that space is expanding because of prospected counter force of super spacial phenom, like a gestalt.
    Varde

Danke! :blush:

Yea, I've heard of that - space folding - before. We're, it seems, in the dark and hence none of these hypotheses have been falsified/confirmed. I spoke too soon, oui?
  • Varde
    So what... You can reach the 'edge' of the universe instead of inevitably returning to the original point? I presume it's some great spherical nature, and what you presume is a cube of space i.e. you reach edges.
  • Varde
    You travel star to star, and at each you turn and remap yourself. As we move(walk, run, etc) at less than light-speed, inevitably the super nature around us forces us into random event horizon.

It's impossible to meet edges. you'll always have day/night cycle to some degree, out of solar systems, is just on route to a point. If you goto a star billions of light-years away you'll see Sol as a star exactly the same range. Stars block out a cubic center and instate random event horizon.
  • SpaceDweller
    Is time infinitePaul S

If time is infinite then this means there is infinite number of past events.
    if there is infinite number of past event then how is it possible that we have reach the present?
    Therefore infinite time is impossible.

Since infinite time is impossible the universe is not infinite because otherwise there would be no time for manifestation of all events in the universe infinite in magnitude.

Therefore universe is infinite only if time is infinite.
    Therefore logically space is finite.
  • alan1000
    Agent Smith is a philosopher; he provokes thinking, which is, of course, frowned upon in any good society.

"According to The Elijah Price/Mr. Glass Principle, at least one actual infinity exists."

I know nothing about Mr Glass or Elijah, but the thesis is provable in set theory, provided you accept that the employment of axioms is inevitable in any science. It's known as the "axiom of infinity": For any natural number n, there exists at least one set with n members. At first glance, this doesn't look as if it had much to do with infinity. But perpend.

Let's say you choose the number 9. Well, there must exist at least the set of the numbers from 1 to 9, otherwise the number 9 would have no meaning. But if you have a set of 9 members, the total number of subsets formable would be 2^9; and from those you could form a further subset, with a cardinality of 2^2^9, and they would form a further subset... and so on ad infinitum.
  • TonesInDeepFreeze
    the "axiom of infinity": For any natural number n, there exists at least one set with n members.alan1000

That is not the axiom of infinity.

The statement that for any natural number n there is a set with n members is a trivial theorem, not even an axiom.

The axiom of infinity is that there exists a set such that 0 is a member and for any x, if x is a member then xu{x} is a member .That axiom, with other axioms, implies that there exists an infinite set, and implies that there exists a set (which is infinite) whose members are all and only the natural numbers.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.