• baker
    Perhaps one of these days, though, everybody will work for themselves.synthesis
    When people "work for themselves" and when there is minimum government, when people are left to themselves, they are also vulnerable to those more powerful than themselves.

So what is your solution to the problem of power differentials between people (and everything they entail, from hostile takeovers of business to abuse of power)?
  • synthesis
    Esp. the freedom to be oppressed by a rich and powerful neighbor!baker

Do you live in Canada?
  • synthesis
    So what is your solution to the problem of power differentials between people (and everything they entail, from hostile takeovers of business to abuse of power)?baker

The only solution I have is for my own life. I can't (nor do I desire to) control anybody else.
  • baker
    The only solution I have is for my own life. I can't (nor do I desire to) control anybody else.synthesis
    Oh, you put it like this, making it about (not) controling others.
    You have a solution for your own life, and the others can just go to hell, those rats and vermin, right?

And I don't live in Canada. When I talk about the freedom to be oppressed by a rich and powerful neighbor, I mean this literally, my current neighbors, just a few meters away from me.
  • synthesis
    You have a solution for your own life, and the others can just go to hell, those rats and vermin, right?baker

I used to have a partner who would often say, "The best way to help the unfortunate is to not be one of them." He and I would get into to it occasionally regarding what I thought was a callous decree, but over the years, and long after his passing, I wish I could tell him how right he was.
  • baker
    I can't (nor do I desire to) control anybody else.synthesis
    But you clearly do have that desire, when you talk about minimizing the government and the corporations.

I'm pointing out where the minimizing of government leads to. Which you clearly don't care about.
  • baker
    Your plan for the betterment of the world isn't based on compassion for people, nor on compassion for planet Earth.

It's looks more like an attempt to find a justification for plain old Social Darwinism, but with an exception clause for you in particular:
    "Other people are free to fight and die like the vermin they are, as long as I'm not one of them."

But you're forgetting it's not up to you to decide whether you're one of them or not.
  • synthesis
    I'm pointing out where the minimizing of government leads to. Which you clearly don't care about.baker

BIG government leads to BIG misery for the majority every time.

People need to save themselves. The government is not going to do it for them. Government (at best) is a racket controlled by the people who control everything else.

I know life is hard, but working diligently is the best hope people have to live a good life.
  • synthesis
    In life, you do the best you can, help others where you can, and then you die. It's just the way it is.
  • baker
    What are you proposing? You say you don't want to control people, yet there are specific things, such as minimizing government and corporations that you do want. IOW, you do want to control people.

People need to save themselves? Yes, what else?

You're not saying anything. The current situation with BIG government and corporations is precisely and simply what some people saving themselves looks like.

You're merely defending the status quo.
  • baker
    In life, you do the best you can, help others where you can, and then you die. It's just the way it is.synthesis
    You're not saying anything. Other than perhaps airing your own despondency and justifying/rationalizing the status quo.
  • synthesis
    The current situation with BIG government and corporations is precisely and simply what some people saving themselves looks like.baker

That's the problem. It's only the elite in corporations and government saving themselves. How about everybody else?
  • baker
    That's the problem. It's only the elite in corporations and government saving themselves. How about everybody else?synthesis
    Why should that be a problem?? To you?? You advocate that everyone should save themselves, and if they can't, that's their fucking problem. There you go! The big fish eat the little fish, that's how the big fish survive.
    Obviously, the solution is to become a big fish. And if someone doesn't become a big fish, that's just their fucking problem!
  • Banno
    The 'mercan myth.
  • synthesis
    Why should that be a problem?? To you?? You advocate that everyone should save themselves, and if they can't, that's their fucking problem.baker

Yes, within the context of any system, it is up to the individual to save themselves, but if you were designing a system, you want to avoid giving power to groups because that means individuals are going to be screwed...BIG time.
  • baker
    Yes, within the context of any system, it is up to the individual to save themselves, but if you were designing a system,synthesis
    But you're not designing a system. You don't get to. Nor do you want to.

you want to avoid giving power to groups because that means individuals are going to be screwed...BIG time.
    So? They should just work diligently, duh.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet