• Michael paone
    I believe that religion does a disjustice to whatever created us. I personally believe that it explains something in simpler terms than needed which causes misinterpretations of something that needs to be interpreted by an individual. We see this all the time in different ways of believing in the same religion which comes predominantly from Abrahamic religions. We use god and the devil as a way to understand why humans act a certain way and usually I believe that the devil is a cop out for the evils of man. Many people who do terrible things believe that they are the son of the devil, A demon, or corrupted by dark forces where mental illness can explain all of these things.

Humans don't need a force to corrupt us. Humans are an evil that can create another evil and keep perpetuating the cycle over and over until the end of time. People hate God or whatever created us because they blame him for our suffering but without it, we would be nothing. Our original sin is just being Man, it's being conscious. We love good things but at the same time, Without evil, Without suffering we would be bored and would inevitably create it.

It will never end for that reason. For the same reason we relish love and I believe that's why people look back at their childhoods with such fondness, because children don't know the harshness of man until they are taught it and they don't get the burden until they reflect on it. Personally I love this life and everything that comes with it. Every culture has a good or evil, a yin and yang. It's the nature of being. Good times, bad times. Personally I fell into a belief of atheism, I believed if god existed he hated us. I believed the nature of life was to suffer and that caused suffering in the core of my being from years of being a good catholic, Believing everything I was told.

I am not worried about death or anything as trivial as that. It's not something I have much control over. I will say I don't want anyone undeserving of suffering to suffer but my thoughts on the matter do not matter. Trying to learn about god from the bible is like trying to learn math from a book on spanish. The answers are not in one book but many books. I do have an appreciation of religion and I am open to the fact that I may be wrong. Everything in that book may be true. But that would go against everything we know of science and life itself. Please let me know what you think of this. I would love some opinions on my theory.
  • Gnomon
    I believe that religion does a disjustice to whatever created us. I personally believe that it explains something in simpler terms than needed which causes misinterpretations of something that needs to be interpreted by an individual.Michael paone
    I happen to agree. But it seems that most people prefer simplistic, dare I say "fictional", narratives to complex "facts" & arcane theories of Science. So, based on my understanding of science, history, and philosophy, I assume that our world began in a sudden un-explainable creative act.

Yet, since the scientific method does not extend beyond the emergence of space-time, I can't say definitively what that Creative Agent is. But it would have to exist necessarily beyond our contingent & bounded world of space-time. That's why I have no idea what that First Cause might want from us. Therfore, I only concern myself with what we humans want from each other. Namely, to be treated according to the Golden Rule. :halo:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.