• Gregory
    Here are some thoughts from my consciousness to yours:

People argue that the brain, because it acts deterministically (non random, always the same way when in the same situation), can't account for consciousness or at least free will. However the quantum world acts differently so people view it's abilities in relation to consciousness to be different. If the quantum realm is truly random in most ways, this wouldn't mean our free choices are random if they come from this place. I think it is easier to understand free will materializing from something random rather than from something determined. The former seems like a more appropriate "seat of the 'soul'" (Descartes's phrase). However, how can something primary random make something so powerful, meaningful, and unique as free will? To start, let me give the example of a watermelon. What makes it divinely delicious (when ripe) is a combination of wetness, crunchy texture, sugar, the unique watermelon taste, and other factors perhaps. They all combine to something that is greater than the sum of its parts. Something greater can come from something less when some lesser things combine to make something greater. There union creates new phenomena. Quantum effects combine to form consciousness, reason, and free will. Those three things combine for our ego, divided into the consciousness and subconscious mind.

If we put "the determined" and "what is random" side by side, we can make it into a thesis-antithesis synthesis situation. This suddenly sounds rather abstract, but I wonder, "could paradox play a role in causality"? The first of such situations would be what is first for consciousness. There is nothingness as understood abstractly and existence as understood abstractly. If nothingness is canceled and existence is cancelled, nothingness becomes existence and existence becomes nothing, and in trying to cancel each other they unite to become something fluid. Einstein thought causality was real but time an illusion ("Time and space are modes by which we think, not conditions in which we live" "The distinction between past, present, and future is a stubbornly persistent illusion") So could there be something deeper behind or inside the quantum realm operating to create self-consciousness (i.e. all of us)? Maybe this is just as simple as saying that Life is the basis of everything; and maybe it works through paradoxes. This is not to say everything is technically alive in the biological sense. But there could be shadows of life even in a rock, even in the side of a cliff. PERHAPS the random and the determined are laced together to form the rational cosmos we inhabit. And that aspects of these meet their opposites and both cancel and preserve each other in a transcending of their natures. The sum is greater than the parts.

I don't see how the engine of the whole process could be "Ultimate Concern" (Tillich) or "care"(Heidegger), for these are actions taken by them without a personhood involved in acting. Neither do I see Platonic Forms as being an answer, for the simple reason that they seem to glassy and dead to do or cause anything. Life however is dynamic. Taken as a principle, perhaps much can flow from it. Moreover, life is the core principle of the human soul, so it seems this basic concept could be the "God" that Einstein talked and wrote about.
    Thanks for your time
  • Tobias
    There are two levels intermingling in your post and these two levels need to be untangled, one is the ideal, namely the conceptual and the relation between concepts to each other and the second is the real, material things interacting. the problem is persistent in philosophy, namely how does the conceptual relate to the real. However both levels are interesting. To start with the real:

If the quantum realm is truly random in most ways, this wouldn't mean our free choices are random if they come from this place. I think it is easier to understand free will materializing from something random rather than from something determined.Gregory

How is randomness a better ground for free will than determination. If everything material fundamentally acts random than our material minds will also act random and your will is not free, it is just an intrinsically random reaction over which you have no control. Our mind is simply like a commentator on a football game (good luck at the super bowl) it rationalises our decisions which are dominated by stimuli and it reacts to it. It either reacts predictable (determinism) or it acts random (your quantum level) but both routes leave no place for freedom, at bestfor rationalisation after the fact. And maybe that rationalisation is also determined, or fundamentally random, but still no freedom there.

You like to find a real ground for the freedom of the will, but I think both your routes do not end where you want to go and for that you need another hypothesis. That is your emergent hypothesis, that somehow free will is created by the combination of material parts. It may be but that qualitative jump is still not understoond. Your randomness or determination idea does not save it.

Now the other level is the conceptual, here you start dealing with abstract concepts. they also do not explain free will, but they might explain the way we think. and I think here you are quite right. the dynamic though and life is already discovered in philosophy. This game you play with being and nothingness has been played by GWF Hegel in the first chapter of his Logik. Now his solution was indeed the primacy of becoming as the negation of being and becoming.

I think you are right about paradoxes, but I would indeed recommend you to read Hegel, you might well enjoy it.
    I also think paradox is indeed the root of the free will problem and its solution, but well maybe we will get there still.

best
    Tobias
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.