• creativesoul
    The cat doesn’t need to distinguish purpose or meaning in order for her interactions to be purposeful or meaningful.Possibility

I concur.

The relation between the cat and the aquarium may not have a particular meaning for the cat - she recognises its significance, and manifests that significance through her actions. But the relation is NOT meaningless, regardless of what the cat does or doesn’t notice or consider.

The life sustaining role is not recognized by her for she does not have the language in order to be able to draw such complex correlations. The relation is meaningful to us, and significant to her by virtue of being life sustaining. She has no clue.

Not all things significant to her are also meaningful to her. Unless something becomes part of a correlation drawn by a candidate under consideration, it is not meaningful to them. That same something may be significant to her without her ever becoming aware of the significance that it has.

Significance is not equivalent to meaning.
  • Possibility
    The life sustaining role is not recognized by her for she does not have the language in order to be able to draw such complex correlations. The relation is meaningful to us, and significant to her by virtue of being life sustaining. She has no clue.creativesoul

Fair enough - not consciously recognised as significant, but nevertheless manifest in her attention and effort towards the aquarium. That’s how you recognise the significance of the relation - because her attention and effort (her integration and manifestation of significance) is not just meaningful but significant TO you. It is not, however significant TO me, although I recognise its potential significance, and that is meaningful to me.

But your cat has a clue - she has the vague awareness of a relation to the aquarium water source that varies in significance (attention and effort) according to the state she is in. When she’s thirsty, her limited capacity for thought gravitates towards this potentiality. If you empty the tank, she would still consider it, but it may eventually drop in this significance in favour of other water sources with more recently perceived potential to satisfy an allocation of attention and effort toward the relation.

Not all things significant to her are also meaningful to her. Unless something becomes part of a correlation drawn by a candidate under consideration, it is not meaningful to them. That same something may be significant to her without her ever becoming aware of the significance that it has.creativesoul

I agree with most of this. Your last sentence I would say that it may be significant to her without her ever recognising the significance that it has. But I think a cat may be vaguely aware of significance in the same way we can be vaguely aware of relations existing prior to becoming meaningful to us.

There is a distinction between meaningful and meaningful TO someone. We draw this distinction through our awareness of what is meaningful to us, but NOT meaningful to another. But can you give an example of something that you would say IS meaningful TO your cat?

Significance is not equivalent to meaning.creativesoul

I concur. My point is that possible meaning is attributed where we recognise variable significance, and potential significance is attributed where we recognise variable attention and effort.
  • creativesoul
    Fair enough - not consciously recognised as significant, but nevertheless manifest in her attention and effort towards the aquarium. That’s how you recognise the significance of the relation - because her attention and effort (her integration and manifestation of significance) is not just meaningful but significant TO you. It is not, however significant TO me, although I recognise its potential significance, and that is meaningful to me.Possibility

The cat is neither you nor I.
  • Possibility
    The cat is neither you nor I.creativesoul

Agreed. You might have to spell out your point here...
  • creativesoul
    That’s how you recognise the significance of the relation...Possibility

'The' relation? As if we've only been discussing one. Clarity... please.

:brow:

There are a plethora of different relations between the aquarium and the cat. Some are meaningful to the cat. Some are not. Some are significant to her. Some are not. Some are both, significant and meaningful to her. Some are significant but not meaningful to her. All things meaningful to her become so by virtue of becoming a part of some correlation or other that she draws between different things. Some meaningful things exist in their entirety prior to ever becoming a part of a correlation she draws between them and other things(prior to ever becoming meaningful to her). Some do not.

WE recognize the life-sustaining relation between water and her(this harks back to the aforementioned "role" that the aquarium plays) as well as a place for her to get a drink. One of these two relations she is aware also of, but the other... not so much. The aquarium is meaningful to her as a place to get a drink. The aquarium is significant to her as a place to get a drink and as an elemental constituent in/of that process. She recognizes the aquarium as a place to get a drink, not as a life sustaining source of drinking water. Not all things that have a significant impact upon her life are meaningful to her as such.

The cat's aquarium is becoming more and more the perfect example for us to use.
  • creativesoul
    My point is that possible meaning is attributed where we recognise variable significance, and potential significance is attributed where we recognise variable attention and effort.Possibility

This looks like of those times where the narrative gets meta and the authors lose sight of the ground.

The very notion of possible meaning is existentially dependent upon language use. Where there has never been language use, there could have never been anyone hedging their bets upon another's meaning. Possible meaning is only attributed within a language game. Cookie does not play such games.
  • Possibility
    This looks like of those times where the narrative gets meta and the authors lose sight of the ground.

The very notion of possible meaning is existentially dependent upon language use. Where there has never been language use, there could have never been anyone hedging their bets upon another's meaning. Possible meaning is only attributed within a language game. Cookie does not play such games.
    creativesoul

I do regularly encounter an assumption that I’ve lost sight of the ground when I start shifting rapidly between perspectives like this. I have an overall relational structure in mind that is six-dimensional, with possibility or meaning as six-dimensional structure, value, potential or significance as five-dimensional and physical interaction, events or life as four-dimensional structures of relation. Each dimensional level allows a corresponding level of integrated awareness. So it’s quite obvious to me that I can attribute the possibility of meaning to Cookie’s vague awareness of significance, but Cookie cannot. I forget that most people need to consolidate discussions at a particular level of awareness in order to keep track.

I’m not saying that Cookie attributes possible meaning, but that possible meaning is attributable (by us) to both variable structures of significance and variable structures or patterns of attention/effort. Such attribution requires that we recognise the variability in relation as a single entity.
  • creativesoul
    When she’s thirsty, her limited capacity for thought gravitates towards this potentiality. If you empty the tank, she would still consider it, but it may eventually drop in this significance in favour of other water sources with more recently perceived potential to satisfy an allocation of attention and effort toward the relation.Possibility

When she's thirsty she goes to the place where she drinks. She knows how to get there. If she found it empty, she'd go elsewhere.

I have an overall relational structure in mind that is six-dimensional, with possibility or meaning as six-dimensional structure, value, potential or significance as five-dimensional and physical interaction, events or life as four-dimensional structures of relation. Each dimensional level allows a corresponding level of integrated awareness.Possibility

I'm suddenly reminded of being charged with using an unnecessarily complicated framework.
  • Possibility
    When she's thirsty she goes to the place where she drinks. She knows how to get there. If she found it empty, she'd go elsewhere.creativesoul

I won’t deny that. You did, however, say this:

The aquarium was not meaningful to the cat until the cat drew correlations between the water in the aquarium and the satisfaction of her own thirst that drinking water can provide. Now, the cat goes to the aquarium whenever she wants a drink of water.creativesoul

So I’m curious: would you say that the aquarium water source has variable significance to your cat (ie, she attributes attention and effort relative to her state of thirst and the comparative proximity/potentiality of ‘the place where she drinks’), but is meaningful to her only in relation to that significance?

I'm suddenly reminded of being charged with using an unnecessarily complicated framework.creativesoul

Ha ha. I find it surprisingly simple to navigate, actually. It keeps me from ‘losing sight of the ground’. I can structure in my mind where a perspective might be in relation to you, Cookie or the aquarium, at various levels of awareness.
  • creativesoul
    I’m not saying that Cookie attributes possible meaning, but that possible meaning is attributable (by us)...Possibility

If we attribute possible meaning to my cat...

Can we be wrong? How could we possibly know that we are? What standard of comparison could we use as a means to know what sort of stuff is meaningful to her, could become meaningful to her, and what sort of stuff cannot possibly be, or cannot ever become meaningful to her?
  • creativesoul
    There is a distinction between meaningful and meaningful TO someone.Possibility

I missed this. I completely disagree.

If we replace "someone" with "a creature capable of attributing meaning" there is no distinction between being meaningful and being meaningful to a creature capable of attributing meaning.

Your notion of significance blurs the distinction between causality and meaning. Causality is always significant, but not always meaningful. That's part of my rejection of significance being equated to meaning. They are not equivalent.
  • Possibility
    If we attribute possible meaning to my cat...

Can we be wrong? How could we possibly know that we are? What standard of comparison could we use as a means to know what sort of stuff is meaningful to her, could become meaningful to her, and what sort of stuff cannot possibly be, or cannot ever become meaningful to her?
    creativesoul

I’m not suggesting we attribute possible meaning to your cat. I’m saying that our awareness of the aquarium’s significance to your cat has meaning for us. With this information, we attribute possible meaning or purpose to the aquarium beyond its significance to us.

There is a distinction between meaningful and meaningful TO someone.
    — Possibility

I missed this. I completely disagree.

If we replace "someone" with "a creature capable of attributing meaning" there is no distinction between being meaningful and being meaningful to a creature capable of attributing meaning.
    creativesoul

Okay, now I think we might be getting somewhere. You’re talking about meaningful as a way of being or becoming in relation to a creature. This seems to be a temporal relation for you, as if at some point the relation, once meaningful, can cease to be so. Would that be accurate?

Your notion of significance blurs the distinction between causality and meaning. Causality is always significant, but not always meaningful. That's part of my rejection of significance being equated to meaning. They are not equivalent.creativesoul

Causality refers to a temporal relation, significance and meaning (in my view) do not. But I agree, they are NOT equivalent.

The way I see it, if WE recognise causality as always significant, then all causality is at least potentially meaningful to US. But your cat is unaware of causality as such, she is only aware of those aspects of causality that are potentially significant to her. When we recognise this significance, we might consider them meaningful to her, but really we’re just projecting our own awareness of possible meaningfulness (to us) onto the cat.
  • creativesoul
    I’m not suggesting we attribute possible meaning to your cat.Possibility

:brow:

That's exactly what we're doing when we're talking about what's meaningful to her.

I’m saying that our awareness of the aquarium’s significance to your cat has meaning for us.Possibility

Our awareness has meaning... for us, nonetheless?

:yikes:

Weird way to talk, if you ask me.

How does our awareness become meaningful... for us?
  • creativesoul
    Causality refers to a temporal relation...Possibility

Causality is not the sort of thing even capable of referring.
  • creativesoul
    You’re talking about meaningful as a way of being or becoming in relation to a creature.Possibility

You're not getting it.

I'm talking about how all things become meaningful.
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet