• Gregory
    I've been studying early German idealism for almost a month now. The best diagram I can do here for the problem they worked on is the following

That which is supposedly behind material existence> phenomena >....... A human < action towards self realization < nothingness

To me it seems apparent that Fitche articulated "existence before essence" before Sartre. Fitche says ( from my reading of the Stanford article) as we come out of non-existence into physical "being" we have feelings, sensations, intuition, then conceptualization. The highest ideal (the "Idea") seems to be after these, so in the future. The quotes in the Stanford article on Schelling has him put the Idea before feeling, so in the eternal past. He likes to call it the Absolute, which is related to infinity. Hegel, then, tried to unify Fichte and Schelling as "antithesis" and " thesis" and called his new system the synthesis of previous philosophy. I'm Hegel the future and past were united in a circular nature. Hegel rejected non-dualism (monism) as a "night were all the cows are black". You would not be able to see any differences, but the distinctions of each cow from the rest is still real. My diagram then is not a line but goes left and right till they meet on the other side of s circle.

That's at least how I understand these thinkers. I was wondering if others out there interested in them
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.