• Tom Storm
    I wasn't interested in that argument, just the steps you were taking. The steps people take are often more significant than their destination.

All you seem to be saying is that theism allows for more mystery than atheism.
  • Paul S
    All you seem to be saying is that theism allows for more mystery than atheism.Tom Storm

That's not what I'm saying. I'm sorry if you see it that way, not the intention.
  • Tom Storm
    That's not what I'm saying. I'm sorry if you see it that way, not the intention.Paul S

Ok. What are you saying then. It isn't clear to me.
  • Paul S
    If a person said atheism resonates with me better than theism, that's why I believe it, that would be inadequate.Paul S

We all have bias whether we admit it or not. There is no evidence for or against atheism any more than there is for or against theism. Whether you like that or not, that's the case. If you think of the probability that the universe is one or another, it's as good as evens so you have no choice but to be either agnostic or to pick a bias (which is what I meant by resonates), unless you have some dramatic evidence to share.

There is comfort in picking the option that one resonates with. It's comforting to have a bias for the side of the argument that requires no belief and so no explanation of that belief. Because there is just nothing to explain. And yet, it's not more likely than the truth being that supported by Theists.
  • synthesis
    There is no evidence for or against atheism any more than there is for or against theism.Paul S

There's all kinds of evidence for both atheism and theism. My problem is having a word for people who do not believe in something...seems kind of lame.

God is one of those things that should rarely escape from the personal realm. Who gives a rat's ass what anybody else thinks when it comes to your religious/spiritual beliefs?
  • Paul S
    There's all kinds of evidence for both atheism and theism. My problem is having a word for people who do not believe in something...seems kind of lame.synthesis

I just think of it as a-theist, anti-theist.

God is one of those things that should rarely escape from the personal realm. Who gives a rat's ass what anybody else thinks when it comes to your religious/spiritual beliefs?synthesis

Thanks synthesis. There was probably a time when atheists would be whispered about behind their backs. Now I think we live in an era where it is the reverse.
  • Deleted User
    So I assume we're both familiar with 'The God Delusion' from Richard Dawkins. I haven't read the book but I've watched the documentary. To me the point is criticising blind faith and bad religion. And I am honestly dismayed by the lack of logic and reason in modern society. But in the highly secular society I live in, this has nothing to do with religion. People just think with their wrong heads. And this includes women, robots and everything in between. Perhaps the sequel should be called 'The Sex Delusion'
  • Tom Storm
    But in the highly secular society I live in, this has nothing to do with religion. People just think with their wrong heads.TaySan

Yes, that is entirely true. I am dismayed by fundamentalism and blind faith and most of it is not religious. Richard Dawkins makes his points pretty well but many people dislike his slightly imperious style.

I agree with you. One of the great problems in culture is the lack of critical thinking and also the venturing of dogmatic opinion where the person simply does not have enough knowledge. I have certainly done this myself.
  • Deleted User
    One of the great problems in culture is the lack of critical thinking and also the venturing of dogmatic opinion where the person simply does not have enough knowledge. I have certainly done this myself.Tom Storm

I'm not sure whether this is such a bad thing. True, many people voice their opinions a bit too strongly on social media. Yet it does encourage the reader to think for themselves.
  • Tom Storm
    Yet it does encourage the reader to think for themselves.TaySan

My point is that they yell about the minuscule amount they know and don't listen and learn. Hence the trouble we have all around the world of hostile tribes only interacting with their own small bubble, getting angrier all the time.
  • Deleted User
    Yeah, this is very true. And a lot of those tribes unfortunately still hold a lot of superstitions. I guess the whole internet knowledge database seems too intimidating to them. And I can understand that. I have been bullied for my intelligence. Yet there has to be some kind of way to educate the uneducated. What do you think?
  • Tom Storm
    Don't know. I am one of the uneducated so I'm a potential customer.
  • Deleted User
    Really? I mean illiterate people. My family is from Indonesia, many people there have had no formal education whatsoever
  • synthesis
    There was probably a time when atheists would be whispered about behind their backs. Now I think we live in an era where it is the reverse.Paul S

Although I do not consider myself a religious person, I have great respect for those who have committed themselves to such practices, and as a matter of fact, the nicest and most sincere people I have known throughout my life have been devoutly religious.
  • Tom Storm
    God is one of those things that should rarely escape from the personal realm. Who gives a rat's ass what anybody else thinks when it comes to your religious/spiritual beliefs?synthesis

The problem is in some countries a particularly primitive expression of religion is a massive influence on generating retrograde social policies and laws and negatively impacting upon the life of others.
  • Paul S
    The problem is in some countries a particularly primitive expression of religion is a massive influence on generating retrograde social policies and laws and negatively impacting upon the life of others.Tom Storm

It could be argued that is a problem of institutionalism rather than any religious indoctrination in particular.
  • Tom Storm
    It could be argued that is a problem of institutionalism rather than any religious indoctrination in particular.Paul S

Not sure what that sentence means. But in essence if a movement, in this case, religion, keeps generating institutions all over the world (and in every religious format) that are retrograde, then the issue is religion's effect on people, surely?
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.