• fleamont
    Hello all,
    TLDR: I need criticisms of nihilism
    I’m currently writing an essay on the question “is nihilism is an inherently pessimistic philosophy?” I’m arguing that it’s not, however, to have a balanced argument i want to explore some criticisms of nihilism. I’m having difficulty finding any that aren’t just along the lines of “why don’t nihilists kill themselves if life is meaningless” and was hoping people here might have suggestions of strong criticisms I could use or know of any philosophers who opposed it.
  • Frankin
    Meaning is not an intrinsic aspect of nature. Purpose is an intrinsic aspect of nature.
    But you can Fabricate meaning from purpose.
  • Gus Lamarch
    “is nihilism is an inherently pessimistic philosophy?”fleamont

I think we can all agree that Nietzsche has already proved this point being wrong...
  • schopenhauer1

As a pessemist, I bristle at trying to distance from this accurate philosophy. Read more Schopenhauer, less Nietzsche .

Whoops, really meant for
  • Gus Lamarch
    Whoops, really meant for ↪fleamontschopenhauer1

:up:
  • counterpunch
    Nihilism upholds no value that requires one accept nihilism!
  • TheWillowOfDarkness

Nietzsche is anti-nilhism. His major point is that life itself is valuable and nihilism has a much longer history than just when people grew critical if religious or traditional accounts of meaning-- that nihilism begins not when we no longer have God to give meaning, but rather from the point in which we thought we were meaningless such that God would have to give our life meaning.
  • Valentinus

The reason why you are having trouble locating those arguments is that "nihilism" is not a set of beliefs such as a Methodist might entertain.
    There are plenty examples of opponents of an idea who charged some other group with embracing it as an idea. Thinkers like Nietzsche said it was a result of promising a certain order of things while not being able to deliver the results.
    I need a list of self identified nihilists to respond intelligently.
  • Gus Lamarch
    Nietzsche is anti-nilhism.TheWillowOfDarkness

"I praise, I do not reproach, [nihilism's] arrival. I believe it is one of the greatest crises, a moment of the deepest self-reflection of humanity. Whether man recovers from it, whether he becomes master of this crisis, is a question of his strength!" - Friedrich Nietzsche, "The Gay Science"

It is only when nihilism is overcome that a culture can have a true foundation upon which to thrive. He wished to hasten its coming only so that he could also hasten its ultimate departure.

Nihilism against itself! Genius!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet