• synthesis
    As somebody who has closely watched this slow moving train-wreck for the past 50 years, one has to wonder just how low the bar must go before the music stops. The lying, cheating, and stealing that has characterized the post 1971 foray into massive debt, counterfeiting, and outsourcing of human labor has left the West in a bad way.

My question is, just how bad is it going to get before an actual adult from the ruling class stands-up and says, "Enough is enough!" ?
  • Ciceronianus
    My question is, just how bad is it going to get before an actual adult from the ruling class stands-up and says, "Enough is enough!" ?synthesis

I'm uncertain about this "ruling class" and those who are a part of it. I've some familiarity with the working class, the middle class and the upper class, but this is apparently another class altogether. Is it anything like "the master race"?
  • Pantagruel
    My guess would be it alludes to the wealthy who tend to benefit from the system of inequality and therefore are in a position to exert a strong influence on the way the world works. Specifically, I think the hope is for a new Donald Trump to arise, who is actually inclined to a generous social policy.

Thomas Carlyle believed that it was the role and duty of the aristocracy to rule for the benefit of the working class. A kind of hero-mythology.
  • Jack Cummins

I am rather wary of you concern to protect the plight of the ruling class. To what extent do you believe that they are suffering? I would think that any revolutionary movement would be to aid those in poverty.

I liked your title, thinking that you were writing a thread on depression, as it is a prevailing undercurrent of our time. But, after reading your thread introduction, I just feel like lying down and listening to The Doors, 'When the Music's Over.'
  • Ciceronianus
    Thomas Carlyle believed that it was the role and duty of the aristocracy to rule for the benefit of the working class. A kind of hero-mythology.Pantagruel

Yes. Sadly, at least during his more Romantic moments, J.S. Mill believed in rule by an elite as well. But it wasn't all that uncommon a belief in the 19th century.
  • Pantagruel
    I am rather wary of you concern to protect the plight of the ruling classJack Cummins
    I don't get that was specifically said that Jack, although perhaps that is the intent. I do read the wish for a "ruling-class hero" (instead of "working-class hero," get it? :smile: ) to rise to lead us to salvation, as it were.
  • Pantagruel
    Yes. Sadly, at least during his more Romantic moments, J.S. Mill believed in rule by an elite as well. But it wasn't all that uncommon a belief in the 19th century.Ciceronianus the White

I like the systems structured around the rule by an intellectual class specifically cultured for that role, Plato, Comte. They seem quite reasonable to me.
  • synthesis
    I'm uncertain about this "ruling class" and those who are a part of it. I've some familiarity with the working class, the middle class and the upper class, but this is apparently another class altogether. Is it anything like "the master race"?Ciceronianus the White

Master race? You must be watching too much TV.

I am referring to the elite in government, corporations (and to a lesser extent, the thought-leaders in the professional and administrative classes), you know, the folks who actually make all the gears turn.
  • synthesis
    I am rather wary of your concern to protect the plight of the ruling class. To what extent do you believe that they are suffering? I would think that any revolutionary movement would be to aid those in poverty.Jack Cummins

Killing the geese that have been laying your golden eggs seems like a poor strategy. If I were one of those folks, I would have a pow-wow with a bunch of my contemporaries and suggest that we fix what's wrong so this ruse might continue for a few more decades.

Seems like having a few billion put away might tide them over until the system once again is hitting on all cylinders (and the masses chill again).
  • synthesis
    I don't get that was specifically said that Jack, although perhaps that is the intent. I do read the wish for a "ruling-class hero" (instead of "working-class hero," get it? :smile: ) to rise to lead us to salvation, as it were.Pantagruel

Spartacus is dead so I really don't see any other super-heroes types arising to the call anytime soon. What's needed is several adults from the Elite class (nobody will listen to anybody else) to get together and tell it like it is, that is, the system is terminally broken and what needs to be done to fix it (e.g., re-institute real money, no FRL, normalize interest rates, drastically cut the size and scope of government, pay as you go, term-limits across the board, etc).

Personally, I would also revoke all corporate charters and re-issue new ones only as non-profits and good only for 10 years (like the good old days when they understood how corporations would metastasize if given the chance).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.