• TimeLine
    Although women have contributed to mathematics at the highest level for a long time, this fact has not been visible to the general public. I hope that the existence of a female Fields medallist, who will surely be the first of many, will put to bed many myths about women and mathematics, and encourage more young women to think of mathematical research as a possible career.
  • Agustino
    My favorite is this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmy_Noether

She was a genius, her work on symmetry and conservation laws accounts for some of our most fundamental scientific laws, and explains them merely as cases of symmetry breaking.
  • Numi Who

Culturally, woman are still coming into their own, so philosophy is still on the horizon for them. One step at a time. Today business, science, and politics, tomorrow, philosophy (specifically answering the Greatest of the Great Questions of LIfe: that of "Why bother?") (though I've already answered it) (because consciousness is a good thing) (consider the alternative), and we can be Mr. Mom's in the meantime - teaching our preschoolers calculus - it may be the preferred arrangement...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.