• praxis
    You could produce the link from your browser historycounterpunch

In 2014, BJS suspended the ARD program because of challenges that resulted in a significant underestimate of the number of annual arrest-related deaths. That year, BJS undertook a study to examine the impact of these challenges and to identify ways to improve program coverage, such as relying on multiple methods to identify arrest-related deaths.
    https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/ardprs1516pf_sum.pdf

The disparity is between the statistics, and the idea fostered by BLM through social media, that there's a racist killing spree being conducted by the police. It's just not true!counterpunch

Indeed, no one is claiming there’s a racist killing spree being conducted by the police.

You haven’t actually shown a disparity.

Okay, nominated for a Nobel peace prize for inciting riots with lies and burning and looting businesses, killing and assaulting people and attacking police!counterpunch

That’s not the reasons for the nomination, as you know. If you don’t value truth or reason and only want to pick a side and stick to it that’s your choice.
  • counterpunch
    I cannot dispute the existence of your quote on the website - but that's not correct. Look at this:

Home | Data Collection Detail
    Data Collection: Arrest-Related Deaths (ARD)
    Frequency: Annually from 2003 to 2012
    Latest data available: 2012

https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=dcdetail&iid=428

The latest data available is 2012. I examined statistics for the period 2003-2012. I know I did.

Arrest-Related Death Report (CJ-11A)
    2012 PDF (150K) | 2011 PDF | 2010 PDF | 2009 PDF | 2008 PDF | 2007 PDF | 2006 PDF | 2005 PDF | 2004 PDF | 2003 PDF
    Quarterly Summary of Arrest-Related Deaths (CJ-11)
    2012 PDF (961K) | 2011 PDF | 2010 PDF | 2009 PDF | 2008 PDF | 2007 PDF | 2006 PDF | 2005 PDF | 2004 PDF | 2003 PDF
    Reporting Materials
    2012 CJ-11A Question-by-Question Guide (150K) | 2012 Reporting Information (190K) | 2012 Frequently Asked Questions - State Reporting Coordinators (168K)

If the program wasn't shut down until 2014, where's the data for 2013? Practically speaking, data collection was shut down in 2012 - the year before BLM were formed. There's something very strange here. Woodward and Bernstein would be intrigued!
  • counterpunch
    The disparity is between the statistics, and the idea fostered by BLM through social media, that there's a racist killing spree being conducted by the police. It's just not true!
    — counterpunch

Indeed, no one is claiming there’s a racist killing spree being conducted by the police.praxis

Seriously, praxis? Is that the level of debate? Do I have to prove both sides of the argument to you?

What are BLM saying then - when protesting outside city halls, with long lists written in blood, of - exclusively, black people who have died in custody?

Why has a racist motive has been attributed to Chauvin - the officer in the George Floyd case, with absolutely no supporting evidence for that? The implication is perfectly clear.

Again, there are 10 million arrests per year. 0.01% end with the death of the suspect. Approximately 1000 people per year die in custody. 32% of those are black people. So there's around 320 black people die in custody every year.

The long list written in blood is a false narrative. The number of deaths is a tiny percentage of the number of arrests - and the proportion of black people killed is proportionate to the number of crimes committed by black people; which is significantly above average.
  • praxis
    Indeed, no one is claiming there’s a racist killing spree being conducted by the police.
    — praxis

Seriously, praxis? Is that the level of debate? Do I have to prove both sides of the argument to you?

What are BLM saying then - when protesting outside city halls
    counterpunch

It’s hard to make anything out but I’m pretty sure no one is yelling “there’s a racist killing spree being conducted by the police,” though I did spot a sign that read “blue lives murder.”

• counterpunch
    I cannot see the purpose of posting that. Or indeed, the point in continuing a discussion with someone who isn't honest. You represent and typify the left; intellectually dishonest - which was my point from the beginning.
  • praxis
    If the program wasn't shut down until 2014, where's the data for 2013? Practically speaking, data collection was shut down in 2012 - the year before BLM were formed. There's something very strange here. Woodward and Bernstein would be intrigued!counterpunch

I’m not very good at conspiracy theories but I’ll give it a shot... perhaps there were no arrest related deaths in 2013 and because this fact didn’t support the false narrative of the communist lizard aliens from outer space that are on a clandestine mission to take control and colonize our planet their supreme leader (Barack Obama) stopped data collection for that year. Hey this is fun :starstruck:
  • counterpunch
    It's not a conspiracy theory. Data collection ended in 2012 - the year before Black Lies Matter was formed. The statistics do not support the narrative Black Lies Matter fostered through social media. Police are not killing black people in any greater proportion than one might expect - given that significantly more crime is committed by black people.

For example, black people - 13% of the US population, committed more murders than the entire white, 76% of the US population. 95% of black people murdered are murdered by black people. So, if Black Lives Matter, perhaps black people should be protesting themselves rather than the police!
  • praxis
    I cannot see the purpose of posting that. Or indeed, the point in continuing a discussion with someone who isn't honest.counterpunch

You asked “What are BLM saying then - when protesting outside city halls” and I posted a video of BLM protesters saying things outside of a city hall in California. Maybe a tad facetious but eminently practical and honest.

Basic BLM claim is systemic racism. If you look at their website, language like “deadly oppression” is used. You would not find any hyperbolic claim like “there’s a racist killing spree being conducted by the police” there or on any mainstream media outlet. Again, you fail to show a disparity.

the proportion of black people killed is proportionate to the number of crimes committed by black peoplecounterpunch

Trying to understand your reasoning, you’re saying that deadly force is justified against citizens if they’re merely associated with crime and regardless if they pose a threat?

If that’s the case, then I imagine that you’d be okay if you had a son and he was killed by police while innocently traveling though a high crime neighborhood that was predominantly white. It’s weird that you’d be okay with that. I would expect more from those who’ve sworn to serve and protect.
  • counterpunch
    You asked “What are BLM saying then - when protesting outside city halls” and I posted a video of BLM protesters saying things outside of a city hall in California. Maybe a tad facetious but eminently practical and honest.praxis

I confess, I didn't really watch the promo video of sanitized scenes we'd like to see - instead of the rioting burning and looting that actually took place. The location wasn't really the operative factor, bur rather - the lists drawn in blood, of black people killed by police.

Again, for the record - there are 10 million arrests per year. 0.01% end with the death of the suspect. Approximately 1000 people per year die in custody. 32% of those are black people. So there's around 320 black people die in custody every year.

A long list painted in blood is intended to create a false impression; one might reasonably describe as the impression that:

“there’s a racist killing spree being conducted by the police”praxis

There isn't. It's a false narrative.

you’re saying that deadly force is justified against citizens if they’re merely associated with crime and regardless if they pose a threat?praxis

No I'm not. How on earth did you get that impression? Black people are 13% of the population. They make up 32% of those killed by police. I anticipated you might argue this shows police bias. But it's actually a consequence of the fact that black people commit more crime. Perhaps, also, given that black people commit more violent crime, they are also more likely to resist arrest.
  • praxis
    So there's around 320 black people die in custody every year.

A long list painted in blood is intended to create a false impression; one might reasonably describe as the impression that:

“there’s a racist killing spree being conducted by the police”

There isn't. It's a false narrative.
    counterpunch

The list isn’t “created,” it’s a statistic, right? And as far as I can tell those are your words and therefore your particular narrative. I just read that BLM uses red paint to symbolize blood, if that’s what you’re referring to with the bit about painting in blood.

Perhaps, also, given that black people commit more violent crime, they are also more likely to resist arrest.counterpunch

So we should just assume that that’s the case rather that study the situation? That doesn’t seem like an impartial attitude. Anyway, given that black people are more heavily policed than white the opposite may be more likely.
  • counterpunch
    Your low effort, non-responses bore me. How about we end this now?
  • praxis

Sorry, much of my effort is spent trying to take you seriously.
12345Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.