• m-theory
    A free to play causal game I rather enjoy is wormax.io.
  • Emptyheady
    My video gaming habit abruptly stopped when I entered college at the age of 17. I didn't have much of a choice, it just naturally happened as my workload increased.

Also, not having a desktop computer, nor gaming platforms (like a Playstation) helps. I have got a Macbook Pro laptop, which is not suitable for gaming, nor do I wish to do anything fancy with it to make it suitable -- this one is for work and I am terrified I cock something up and lose my valuable productive stuff.
  • Agustino
    Chess and poker. When I was 14-16, mainly Starcraft. I loved strategy games the most. Even now, I guess you can consider poker and chess as strategy games. I'm looking to learn the Chinese Go as well, although I probably won't be able to play anyone face to face in that in this part of the world.
  • _db
    The Mongols and Spanish in AoE2 are so fucking OP.
  • Buxtebuddha
    Is that expansion for the HD version? I remember reading that the HD AoE2 has problems like bugs and crashing.
  • _db
    HD is a little clunky at times, yes, but mostly on multiplayer.
  • Buxtebuddha
    Ah, I see. I'm just remembering maybe a year ago when I was watching videos of AoC, but was hearing a lot of moaning about problems. I've always wanted an HD for the original AoE. Don't think there is one, but that was my first ever game.
  • Pneumenon
    I'm not filled with suffering or sadness. I'm too busy expanding my base in Factorio.

Have you ever thought, when seeing one of those starving child infomercials, "Hey, why doesn't the film crew give that kid a Hot Pocket or something?"
  • Wosret
    Just got the ps4 pro. Playing far cry 4.
  • _db
    Mass Effect.
  • S
    Recently finished Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today. Was good, but it ended abruptly and the story is unfinished. Will have to wait for the next game to continue the story.

And I played the For Honour Beta today. Pretty good.

• quine
    Diablo 1
    Diablo 2
  • Moliere
    https://rimworldgame.com/

Has been my recent game. I finished 1 play through, but since it's a colony simulator, and the game is modder friendly there's more to play. The attraction comes, for me, from the stories which are emergent from an underlying basic simulation.

I dialed it down to an easy level so I could see what endgame looked like, but it's more likely for you to die than to live -- it took a few times, even on the easy setting, to get a colony to survive to endgame. But while it was fun to get to endgame, most of the fun comes about in seeing how disparate personalities thrown onto a "backwoods" rim world in a starship crash try to survive, form relationships (positive and negative), and usually fail because of their frailties, or overcome odds stacked against them in the case that you actually escape.
  • Moliere
    The Sea Will Claim Everything

If you had to pick a genre, then the above would qualify as an adventure game. You find items with which you complete puzzles, and the puzzles are more whimsical and fun than annoyingly abstract or frustratingly stupid. You explore a fantastical world, and are set to help a druid repair his home which is partly alive and partly mechanical -- built out of "druidic technomagic". A story emerges out of this exploration.

It really captures a dreamworld very well, being both serious and silly, magical and concrete. I think the above is particularly interesting as a game because I think it would appeal to people who are not normally "gamer" people -- the real attraction is the story and setting and art more than the adventure game aspects. Not that gamers wouldn't enjoy the game if they happen to like adventure games in the first place, but I would recommend it to anyone who just likes a good story -- and there's even reflections about philosophy in the game too, so the crowd here may enjoy it.
  • _db
    The game of Life, I'm not doing so well as of late ... :s
  • Wosret
    I just beat the first three uncharteds, and then injustice. Got nothing now, haven't beaten far cry4 but it kind of blows.

Might try for 100% completion of shadow of mordor. I already got like 80% on the one play through.
  • _db
    Hotline Miami
  • S
    I just beat the first three uncharteds, and then injustice. Got nothing now, haven't beaten far cry4 but it kind of blows.

Might try for 100% completion of shadow of mordor. I already got like 80% on the one play through.
    Wosret

The only one of those I had was Shadow of Mordor. It was good for a while, until I completed the main stuff. I never care about 100% completion or trophies.

Currently playing Beyond: Two Souls. But I'd much rather be playing Resident Evil VII, Final Fantasy XV, or The Last Guardian, which I don't own.

Mass Effect: Andromeda looks great.

BioShock: The Collection and Yesterday Origins are tempting, given their current price in the PlayStation Store.

But then, maybe I shouldn't be spending money on more games.

Ah... wat do? Too many choices.
  • Wosret

I only got those games cause there was a super awesome flash sale on the ps store. The first three remastered uncharted games for like $20, and injustice for like $6.

I don't wanna spend anything on games either, which is why I was talking about just going for completion.
  • S
    I caved in and bought BioShock: The Collection for £20. And there's no point kidding myself, I'll probably buy all of the others I mentioned too at some point. :D
  • Wosret

I'm sure that I'll get plenty when I have the money but not the time.
  • S
    I'm sure that I'll get plenty when I have the money but not the time.Wosret

I currently have both, but in the back of my mind is the worry that I'm acting more like the grasshopper in Aesop's fable.
  • Moliere
    But then, maybe I shouldn't be spending money on more games.

Ah... wat do? Too many choices.
    Sapientia

Honestly, I save more money spending money on games than going out to see people. :D It's part of the reason I play games (aside from the fact that I enjoy them, of course) -- because I'm in "wait and save" mode.
  • Thorongil
    Have you played Bioshock before?
  • Moliere
    sweet game.

;)
  • jkop

It's full of adventure and virtuosity, inspires imagination without the need for high-end graphics, physics engines or the like.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.