• Thorongil
    I don't know how many of you play computer or video games, but I had the thought of making this thread, inspired by the "What are you listening to now?" one. I count myself a member of the PC gaming master race, so I sincerely hope none of you are console peasants. I don't play anywhere near as much as I used to, but I do still keep up the hobby. Some of my favorite games/game series include:

Total War series
    Stronghold series
    Age of Empires series
    Praetorians
    Rise of Nations
    Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy; Battlefront I and II; Republic Commando
    Guild Wars (the originals)
    Crysis
    Call of Duty 1, 2, 4, and WaW
    Battlefield 1942, BC2
    The Elder Scrolls IV and V
    Mass Effect 1 and 2
    Grand Theft Auto IV and V
    Bioshock Infinite
    The Witcher 2 and 3
    Batman Arkham Asylum and City
    Ass Creed 1, 2, and IV
    FIFA series

I also like good old fashioned chess, but I'm pretty terrible at it, owing in part to the poor development and subsequent atrophy of my left brain.

What about you?
  • Thorongil
    I can start by saying that right now I'm playing:

Battlefield 1 (really fun)
    LotRO (technically been playing it off and on since it came out)
    ESO
    LoL (ditto)
  • Emptyheady
    I sometimes play Minecraft to help me concentrating to listen to hours-long lectures, audio books or podcasts. I got this idea from a dialogue between the characters Sheldon and Leonard in the television series named The Big Bang Theory.

----------

I looked up the transcript, here is that bit:

Sheldon: When Albert Einstein came up with special relativity, he was working at the patent office.

Leonard: So, you’re going to go work at the patent office?

Sheldon: Don’t be absurd. That’s in Washington. You know I could never live in a city whose streets are laid out in a wheel-and-spoke pattern. No. I’m going to find a similarly menial job where my basal ganglia are occupied with a routine task, freeing my prefrontal cortex to work quietly in the background on my problem.

----------

I find that it is easier to concentrate while doing some simple routine-tasks, but I do not claim anything scientific here -- it may very well be rubbish.

Attention is limited and if the task becomes 'too complex' my intentions may backfire. The task has to be psychologically bearable to keep doing it for a few hours without feeling the urge to quit. So there is an optimum where the task is simple enough to maximise concentration but not too dull to feel as if I am a machine.
  • _db
    Knights of the Old Republic I and II
    Jedi Knight series
    Star Wars Battlefront I, II, and the mediocre DICE remake
    Republic Commando
    Age of Empires and Age of Mythology
    Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds
    Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Portal I and II
    TES V: Skyrim
    Deus Ex
    Witcher 3
    War Thunder
    Insurgency
    Chivalry

PC Master Race
  • m-theory
    I was playing an indie game called sub rosa.
    When the server is populated it is actually quite an addictive game, but the community seems to have died off, maybe when it is updated next year people will return.
  • BC
    This 1969 song seems very apropos.

• Nils Loc
    Witcher 3 for the gorgeous medieval landscape and soap opera.

Tested free trial of StarCraft II but looks like you have to pay for each of the race campaigns. Looks like fun (or at least distraction from existential woe).

More interested in learning how to build 3-D objects/designs for the future promise of 3D printing.
    Design suites and software are prohibitively expensive, but need to do some more searching.
  • Ying
    PS2:
    SSX 3.
    Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3.
    God Hand.

PC:
    Ultra Street Fighter 4 (practicing tatsu loops with Sakura).
  • Thorongil
    8-) (Y) How could I forget the Witcher series? Added.
  • dukkha
    Internet poker, mostly 2-7 triple draw and baduci. Primarily on pokerstars.

Triple draw is so frustrating, manic depression - the card game version. Half the time I want to smash a brick into my face and end it all. But the other half I'm on a heater taking pot after pot.

It mostly balances out.
  • Shawn
    League of Legends mostly. Don't really want to invest time in other games.

nanners
  • m-theory
    Anybody play no mans sky?

If so does it live up to the hype mill?
  • Moliere
    http://hinterlandgames.com/

That's been the game I've played most recently. I have a thing for trying out survival games -- some of them aren't that great, but the genre isn't exactly established yet either so I like to see how different people do them. At a minimum I always figure they'd make great engines for other folks to make a story with.

One survival game that has created something really cool:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/282070/

Just prior to that game:

http://stoicstudio.com/

There's only 2 in the series, and they plan on making a third. It's a story-driven turn-based strategy game, with a kind of Oregon Trail element thrown in. The reason I thought it was cool is that the whole game is animated in the old-style of animation, where they drew the characters and colored them. I've also found the story compelling.

And just prior to that, though very different in tone from the previous ones: http://stardewvalley.net/

Playing that game just made me feel happy every time I'd play it.

Everything I've read on that game is that the hype did not live up to reality. And not in some sense where they didn't quite reach their goals but still made something worthwhile, but starkly so.
  • Thorongil
    I know what you mean. What rank are you?
  • Terrapin Station
    Replaying GTA IV at the moment. Aside from a couple arcady things--and mainly pinball at that, I tend to just (re)play one game at a time.
  • _db
    Anybody play no mans sky?

If so does it live up to the hype mill?
    m-theory

lol no man's sky sucks big time. Go with star citizen.
  • Shawn

I don't play ranked. I just play normals with Tryn all the time. I must have 200k points on him, LOL.
  • S
    PS4 Gamer

Currently playing:

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Also have downloaded and have yet to play:

Battlefield 1
    Everybody's Gone To The Rapture
    The Order 1886
    White Night

Also have, but haven't played in a while:

Life Is Strange
    Rainbow Six: Siege
    Final Fantasy X2
    Layers Of Fear
    Valiant Hearts: The Great War
    Alien Isolation
    Drive Club

Plan on getting:

Final Fantasy XV
    Resident Evil VII
    Outlast II
  • _db
    Now, now...
  • Hanover
    There's a great big world filled with suffering, sadness, pain, and need, and you sit idly by connected to a cold machine pushing a Sisyphus button with fervor.
  • Deleteduserrc
    the witness, it's good, got ffxv, kinda lame, some good parts
  • Deleteduserrc
    playstation vr just arrived - v excited, been daydreaming about vr since i was 6
  • Moliere
    Post what you think of it. I'd like to hear first hand accounts.

It all looks pretty cool.
  • _db
    There's a great big world filled with suffering, sadness, pain, and need, and you sit idly by connected to a cold machine pushing a Sisyphus button with fervor.Hanover

Video games help with altruistic burnout. Playing old-school video games is inexpensive, recuperative and sublimative.

But generally the video game industry is one of excess, not only in money but also in (im)morality. Skimpy boob armor is not armor.
  • bert1
    Pillars of Eternity is what I'm playing now. Very good it is.

Other fave games:
    Baldur's Gate
    Master of Orion 2
    Battle for Wesnoth
    Total Annihilation
  • The Great Whatever
    I quit video games cold turkey last summer, but felt the urge to play for the first time again today. Trying not to fall off the wagon. :(
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.