• tim wood
    May I ask for your advice on how to learn math, or an example of effective math learning?

It was only when I started memorizing and practicing all the examples my math teacher taught that I saw improvement.... Unfortunately, this pattern seems to repeat in my life.
    YiRu Li

Unfortunately? What (else) did you expect? I am persuaded the capabilities of most folks are far greater than what is asked of them or that they ask of themselves. The implication is that people hold themselves back, individually and collectively.

Advice on learning math? Clearly you have answered that question for yourself. And no doubt as your knowledge increases, so will your abilities - bigger steps, faster steps.

And for instruction, Youtube itself is an inexhaustible library of instruction. MIT lectures an example. NP-completeness is an interesting topic; see what lectures you can find on it, and if they're of any interest to you.
  • YiRu Li
    Advice on learning math? Clearly you have answered that question for yourself.tim wood

Yes!
    I made a surprising discovery today: It's the first time in my life that I've asked how to learn math! Previously, I was stuck in my old patterns repeatedly.
    No wonder when Chuang Zi or other Chinese prophet books teach 'Tao,' they use examples like: the 'Yellow Emperor' seeking knowledge everywhere.
    I promptly found many valuable resources on YouTube.
    Thank you!
  • tim wood
    I made a surprising discovery today: It's the first time in my life that I've asked how to learn math! Previously, I was stuck in my old patterns repeatedly.YiRu Li
    Very much sense in this - and to be mined from it. Our first "patterns" - lost to the memory of most folks, of how to see, hear, walk, talk, read , write, & etc. - relatively small-seeming (although not small at all) yield to larger and ever larger patterns. When does it stop? Only when a person quits. So it becomes necessary at some point, imho, to break the pattern of patterns, becoming and being thus free of them - a "pattern" so to speak of being and becoming.

An example: I am learning a second language. At the first it is the letters, then the words, then a bit of grammar and syntax. And so one reads, a word at a time. With much practice one learns to read phrase by phrase, even sentence by sentence, learning the "music" of the language and what that says and how it works, finding meaning that is inaccessible reading word-by-word. And it just keeps going.

But people, individuals, do not "just keep going." So that is one of many life problems, how to reconcile one's finitude, that I am going to die, with the near-endless everything. My own solution, such as it is, is make my decisions as consciously as I can, to own them, and to be self-accepting. It sounds good; we'll see how it goes.

I imagine you are Chinese, and possibly in China. It is not at all clear to me that Chinese culture, now or ever, has ever encouraged or fostered personal-individual freedom. But on this I will take correction.
  • YiRu Li

Yes! 2024 Martin Luther Day is a significant day for me! It marks the first time in my life that I asked how to improve my math, and I'll always remember it. It's unbelievable that I used to believe I lacked talent in math when, in reality, I hadn't followed any of the suggestions from YouTube videos on how to learn math.

I'm from Taiwan and have been living in Seattle for 10 years. Taiwan's Society and K12 education combines 50% authentic Chinese civilization with 50% Western education. In college, it's 100% Western education.

I appreciate your response:
    Advice on learning math? Clearly you have answered that question for yourself.tim wood

I believe we can use this approach to analyze the questions that the Chinese asked throughout history and the corresponding results.

*From 5000 years ago to before the colonial period*
    China was often relatively free and could maintain a level of 'free self-governed' comparable to that of a U.S. county. About 2,000 years ago, during the reign of the first Emperor Qin Shi Huang, there was a brief period of violent control, similar to what the Communist Party did in Russia and China. He burned all books from 3,000 B.C. until his time to suppress dissent.

*During the colonial period*
    Chinese people felt that the emperor system was flawed and questioned which new system to choose: Democracy, constitutional monarchy, or communism? In 1911, Democracy emerged victorious.

*In World War II*
    the Chinese faced the choice again: Democracy or Communism? Mao was considered a better leader than Chiang Kai-shek during this period, and in 1949, Communism emerged as the winner.

*Now*
    people in mainland China are questioning: Is Democracy better than Communism? Discussing this with friends from mainland China can lead to endless debates about the efficiency of big government, followed by criticisms of the perceived failures of U.S. or Taiwan democracy.

People in mainland China must first ask: 'How can we implement democracy?', Similar to the question Our founding father 'Sun Yat-sen' asked, before the successful establishment of democracy in China.

Our founding father mentioned that European democracy arose from high-pressure control and persecution, pushing people to pursue freedom. Chinese history, however, has been characterized by periods of freedom and good treatment over 5,000 years, making the pursuit of freedom less pronounced.

Can we encourage people in mainland China to ask: 'How can we implement democracy'?
    What can we learn from America and Europe?

My solution is to return to authentic Chinese civilization. The equality at the spirit level taught by ChuangZi and Jesus can inspire equality at the law level, which manifests as democracy or possibly a superior system.

People in mainland China have a deep appreciation for authentic Chinese civilization. During the Cultural Revolution, the CCP didn't teach it in schools, but now they do. Chinese medicine, with Laozi, Chuang Zi, and i-Ching, is widely used in China and Taiwan. In times of darkness like the CCP or Covid, people turn even more to Chinese medicine and the teachings of Laozi, Chuang Zi, and i-Ching.

If we can find a way to combine this with Western philosophy, it could be even better. People in mainland China are eager to learn about Western culture, and such integration could be also beneficial for our health."
  • YiRu Li
    understanding of Taounenlightened

:up:

We can comprehend Chinese through the visual representation of words.
    In this image, 'Tao' is depicted as a thoughtful head at a crossroad, with a person walking on the path.

9053.png

The essence of 'Tao' aligns with the sentiment, 'Carefully consider the path for your feet, and all your ways will be established.' (Proverbs 4:26)
  • YiRu Li
    I think morality as understood in the West is more in tune with Confucius' thought. A matter of duty in a social world.unenlightened

:chin:

Confucius said, 'Were a man without benevolence, what would be the rites intended for? If without benevolence, what would the music be used for?' (The Analects, Ba Yi, 3)

Confucius emphasizes the importance of genuine hearts.
    Morality, according to him, is the inherent expression of genuine hearts.
    Without genuine hearts, morality becomes hypocritical.
    I'm uncertain if 'stipulated' moral guidelines inherently possess genuine hearts."?
  • unenlightened
    I'm uncertain if 'stipulated' moral guidelines inherently possess genuine hearts."?YiRu Li
    This is a stipulation:-
    Without genuine hearts, morality becomes hypocritical.YiRu Li

And one I agree with. When I say 'stipulation' I mean such a defining or contextualising statement. So, I assume Confucius had a genuine heart when he said this, but it is the person who acts or speaks that does so wholeheartedly or hypocritically - for example, one can honour one's parents genuinely, or one can pretend to honour them to gain some favour from them. Statements themselves have no heart, but are mere rocks in the stream.

Thank you very much for that little lesson in written Chinese; I know nothing of it, but it is a very different system, and I strongly suspect that it results in a slightly different way of thinking, that is - I'm guessing - more immediate and holistic.
  • YiRu Li
    It is not at all clear to me that Chinese culture, now or ever, has ever encouraged or fostered personal-individual freedom.tim wood

Authentic Chinese civilization fosters 'Tao'.
    However, numerous foreigners have competed and occupied the land of China.
    Over time, these foreigners may integrate into Chinese society, embracing authentic Chinese civilization. Yet, they might also introduce foreign cultures that do not align with the essence of 'Tao,' such as foot binding or the influence of the Chinese Communist Party.

In Taiwan's K12 education, it is crucial to learn how to distinguish between foreign culture and authentic Chinese civilization. This skill proves valuable when studying history and archaeology. Additionally, I aim to find an effective method for learning Western thinking?

Tao: 'Carefully consider the path for your feet, and all your ways will be established.' (Proverbs 4:26)

9053.png
  • AmadeusD
    Confucius emphasizes the importance of genuine hearts.
    Morality, according to him, is the inherent expression of genuine hearts.
    Without genuine hearts, morality becomes hypocritical.
    I'm uncertain if 'stipulated' moral guidelines inherently possess genuine hearts."?
    YiRu Li

I think its possible this train is why Confucius hasn't hit the Aurelius or even Sun Tzu level of modern popularity.

This is a bit circular and doesn't inform anyone of how to get to an 'ought'.
  • YiRu Li
    But there is a way to deal with the inequalities [changes] and be peaceful & honest.
    What is the way?
    My guess: scientific understanding × nonzero sum practices.
    180 Proof

Confucius is more secular, and Taoism more spiritual. Ruling a country is like cooking a small fish (don't over do it.) It's a great government that can take that sort of advice!unenlightened

this train is why Confucius hasn't hit the Aurelius or even Sun Tzu level of modern popularity.AmadeusD

History can provide a clearer understanding of Confucius and Zhuangzi. The Chinese actually abandoned the exclusive pursuit of Confucius' moral system 2,500 years ago. Instead, they incorporated Laozi and Zhuangzi's thinking, either alongside morals or at times exclusively.

China has a history of university education and a moral system dating back 5,000 years. Confucius played a pivotal role as the teacher in this university education and moral system. However, around 700 B.C., the introduction of iron in China led to severe wealth inequality and 500 years of warfare between states. The old moral system, which had been in place from B.C. 3000 to B.C. 700, collapsed. People lost faith in the ability to maintain genuine hearts and uphold morality within the old system favored by Confucius. During the wartime period, 100 philosophy schools emerged and competed amid the prevailing inequality. In B.C. 221, Legalism emerged victorious, putting an end to the era of war. However, the extreme legal system resulted in the Emperor burning all Chinese books spanning 3,000 years.

With the legal system proving inadequate, the Chinese turned to the philosophies of Laozi and Zhuangzi to address the issue of inequality, achieving positive results. Despite this, Confucius' moral system continued to be taught for 5,000 years until the present day in schools in Taiwan and China. However, 2,500 years ago, people recognized that it could not stand alone. Chinese society predominantly relies on Laozi and Zhuangzi to directly address inequality of minds and support moral values.

Did Westerners experience a similar history?
    -> Technology introduces inequality to society (Iron, Colony, Industrial Revolution)
    -> Moral system collapse (War Time)
    -> Extreme legal systems that end war but cause severe destruction (Communist Party, Cultural Revolution)
    -> Attempts to use legal means to maintain order (UN, Universal Declaration of Human Rights)
    -> But still faces challenges?
  • YiRu Li
    This in Western terms generally expresses 1) a human rights perspective and 2) reciprocal altruism.Tom Storm

It holds true when considering any social or natural science while understanding Zhuangzi.

'Tao' is Science. Laozi and Zhuangzi were tools for ancient scientists to unravel the mysteries of Science.

This philosophy is implemented in various aspects of Chinese culture, including Chinese medicine, the political system, and personal careers such as those of scientists, doctors, or architects.

It also aids in examining which sciences to prioritize.
    e.g.
    My doctor friend always tells me, 'To become famous, many doctors prefer to research fatal diseases rather than small diseases.' However, to create a more equitable society, the Taiwanese government may decide to promote more research and growth in herbs that can treat small diseases. Although this may not bring as much fame as researching more fatal diseases, it can help a larger number of people by preventing major diseases. Additionally, it can provide more job opportunities for those in need."
  • Tom Storm
    Did Westerners experience a similar history?YiRu Li

Many Westerners don't romanticize their history with mythology like other cultures do - unless they are right-wing. The left seems to focus on critiques and self-loathing.

Technology introduces inequality to society (Iron, Colony, Industrial Revolution)YiRu Li

No. Inequality is always there. Technology just shows up the fault lines.

Extreme legal systems that end war but cause severe destruction (Communist Party, Cultural Revolution)YiRu Li

I think you mean authoritarian political systems, not extreme legal systems.

Tao' is Science. Laozi and Zhuangzi were tools for ancient scientists to unravel the mysteries of Science.YiRu Li

Tao is not a science as I understand it. It might be used to inform science, but it is more like a philosophical or spiritual system.

I have two translations of the Tao Te Ching, but I'm afraid as a modern, secular westerner it just seems like abstract, poetic and circuitous musings of no particular use to me. I am not very interested in metaphorical language and paradoxes.

I have also known several Chinese people over the years who claim that Chinese medicine is unreliable and if they are really sick they will not use it. I would need to see studies on this subject before committing to a view. I have known several people to use Chinese medicine to treat various illnesses. It generally did not work, but in one or two cases it seemed to help. I personally would not use it, but its not a part of my culture. I also would not use naturopathy or faith healing.
  • AmadeusD
    Many Westerners don't romanticize their history with mythology like other cultures do - unless they are right-wing. The left seems to focus on critiques and self-loathing.Tom Storm

This is such a good encapsulation of why politicking sucks so much. Nice.

I have also known several Chinese people over the years who claim that Chinese medicine is unreliable and if they are really sick they will not use it.Tom Storm

I live right next a School of Chinese Medicine and three people i know have gone, and left, because it was (educationally) prescriptive and didn't really regard 'evidence' as important. Unsure whether that relates generally, but is my experience.

Are you sure Naturopathy is the thing you'd take issue with? Its a fairly humble practice, and seems to work where it works One of the above 'people' eventually completed a naturopathy degree (Bachelor of Natural Medicine) - Homeopathy, on teh other hand.. yeesh.

Tao is not a science as I understand it.Tom Storm

It is a religion, borne out of the Tao Te Ching. It reads similarly to Confucius in a lot of places, imo. Very much philosophical and not empirical.
  • YiRu Li
    if they are really sick they will not use it.Tom Storm

I live right next a School of Chinese MedicineAmadeusD

Correct!
    Chinese medicine is preventive medicine and primarily addresses minor ailments.

If we feel unwell and Western doctors assert that we are not sick after various examinations, then it's time to consider Chinese medicine.

One of the most renowned figures in the history of Chinese medicine is Bian Que, and his story emphasizes how Chinese medicine focuses on treating minor ailments:

One famous legend tells of how once when Bian Que was in the State of Cai, he saw the lord of the state at the time and told him that he had a disease, which Bian Que claimed was only in his skin. The lord brushed this aside as at that time he felt no symptoms, and told his attendants that Bian Que was just trying to profit from the fears of others. Bian Que is said to have visited the lord many times thereafter, telling him each time how this sickness was becoming progressively worse, each time spreading into more of his body, from his skin to his blood and to his organs. The last time Bian Que went to see the lord, he looked in from afar, and rushed out of the palace. When an attendant of the lord asked him why he had done this, he replied that the disease was in the marrow and was incurable. The lord was said to have died soon after.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bian_Que
  • AmadeusD
    That appears to be a legend about cancer. Not a minor ailment at all ;)
  • YiRu Li

Cool! He is indeed an amazing doctor. He has the ability to halt cancer.
  • AmadeusD
    My contention would be, no he does not. He is not a Doctor, but a legend.

His methods appears to approximate Ayurvedic systems of pulse diagnosis.

I can't take these sorts of things very seriously, other than as curiosities of culture.
  • YiRu Li

It is indeed educational material on how to utilize Chinese medicine, emphasizing the importance of not waiting to see a doctor until it's too late.
  • AmadeusD
    I think it's more an indication that a society which doesn't understand cancer wont take it seriously.
  • YiRu Li

Chinese medicine is about philosophy, Qigong, acupuncture (healing power from our own body), and herbs (healing power from nature. e.g. forest).
    It is a preventive medicine.
    It thinks small sickness will accumulate to big sickness, then big sickness will lead to death.
    Chinese medicine is very promised to prevent and treat small sicknesses.
    But not that focus on treating big sickness as western medicine.
    (I’m afraid the philosophy behind is: ‘Life<->Death’ is the same.
    It actually doesn’t suggest taking too much extra effort to pursue ‘life’.
    It should go with nature, e.g. healthy lifestyles.)
  • AmadeusD
    Yes, I am aware. But it was formed in a way that precludes it from being a medical practice, unfortunately. It is a spiritual practice at base, with Qi being its root.
  • YiRu Li

Yes, prioritize Spirit, Mind, and Body health. It effectively addresses long COVID, the immune system, the autonomic nervous system, and the endocrine system for me.
  • AmadeusD
    Suffice to say it does none of those things, and has nothing within it that could be aware of something like COVID or long COVID (if that's a thing).

Feel free to fee free. But i think it's a little irresponsible to pretend taht Chinese Medicine is anything remotely approaching effective with regard to the endocrine system, ANS or COVID. My 2 C worth :)
  • YiRu Li

Yes, it's a knowledge that everyone learns in Taiwan and China to prevent diseases. If it doesn't sound like a medical practice to you
  • AmadeusD
    Once again, I am aware. I am well aware. That does not made it a medical practice.

It might be worth not appealing to the fact that something exists, as evidence that it fulfills a certain function.

Chinese Medicine is not a medical practice. It is a spiritual practice. And there's nothing wrong with spiritual practice. It is only wrong when presented as a medical practice. And i believe that is the case with Chinese Medicine.
  • YiRu Li

Yes, when dealing with a disease, people in Taiwan and China often compare situations to determine whether Western medicine or Chinese medicine is more effective. Every individual uses both types of medicine, each having its own distinct theory.
  • Outlander
    Chinese Medicine is not a medical practice. It is a spiritual practice. And there's nothing wrong with spiritual practice. It is only wrong when presented as a medical practice. And i believe that is the case with Chinese Medicine.AmadeusD

I've had a cousin who saw acupuncture in a favorable, presumably productive light. What about chiropractic? People say that's "not a real science/medicine". Yet people swear by it.

Just because we can't "see" something or correlate how and why something works doesn't automatically mean it doesn't. That's the life story of science and all innovation itself. We didn't know, then we did. Surely you don't suggest humanity has discovered all that is to be discovered about the human body, life, and the universe itself? We haven't even explored 5% of the world's oceans, which is nearly 75% of the entire world itself! Come now. Be humbled and ready to learn. Surely there's more to.. no? :chin:

Edit: In addition to the fact human medical experiments are generally frowned upon. It's an entirely (at least one would hope) locked up industry in the modern age.
  • YiRu Li
    That does not made it a medical practice.AmadeusD

I do think a Chinese medicine doctor is like a 'teacher,' guiding us on how to lead a healthy life for our spirit, mind, and body.

However, in ancient times, herbs were not part of big commercial enterprises. I'm cautious about consuming commercially produced herbs. I prefer growing my own herbs, and they prove effective.

Modern commercial practices indeed compromise the quality of Chinese medicine. If this is the point you want to convey?

Healing should come from our relationship with nature. However, the commercial style actually obstructs that connection with nature.

It shouldn't be viewed as a modern 'medical practice'. Instead, it should be embraced as a lifestyle philosophy to learn.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.