• Hanover
    Well, whatever the hell they are, they all dance the same when pelted with BBs.
  • Wosret
    Aren't CEO's the culpable ones though, with the most real accountability? Like, aren't they the ones hauled into count to explain why their product killed all of those babies?
  • Agustino
    It takes talent in recognizing efficient means to achieve a goalQuestion
    True

the power of persuasionQuestion
    True

and a whole lot of lawyers to protect, promote, and fend of competitionQuestion
    Yeah, where do you get the money for those? It gets easy once you can get those. The hard part is getting to that point. Making that money starting from zero isn't easy at all. It takes real ingenuity.

You also need to steal a lot of ideas from competition without them noticing.Question
    No, not necessarily.
  • Shawn
    It takes real ingenuityAgustino

Actually, it takes a lot of talking to investors. And let's not kid ourselves, no one person can come up with all the nuances and details of a product on their own. Most, if not all ideas were borrowed from somewhere else (education, human capital, patents, other people more capable?)... Oh, and subsidies definitely help.
  • Agustino
    Aren't CEO's the culpable ones though, with the most real accountability? Like, aren't they the ones hauled into count to explain why their product killed all of those babies?Wosret
    Okay, first let's make some distinctions. Yes theoretically the administrator/CEO of the company is the one bearing all the accountability (unless of course there is evidence to the contrary). Practically, the CEO has a multitude of ways to pass on responsibilities to others. People are judged based on the paperwork. If the paperwork says something, then that's how it happened. CEOs are adept at mastering paperwork.

So tell me Wosret, what happens if an order is given orally, but there is no written record of it or even worse?

Actually, it takes a lot of talking to investors.Question
    Not everyone does it by acquiring capital from an investor. There are many boot-strapped companies. Even when capital is acquired from investors, your company must already be earning quite a decent amount of money (generally) before you get someone to invest. If you're at that point, you're already successful due to your own effort, even before the investor got in - the investor merely speeds up your success.
  • Wosret
    So tell me Wosret, what happens if an order is given orally, but there is no written record of it or even worse?Agustino

What could be worse? Theoretically murderers are supposed to go to jail, but they're clever pyschos, so they intricately plan in advance, and what if they killed them orally, and there is no body left... or even worse than that somehow!

I don't know much about business, CEOs and stuff, but I did think that they make the most, not because they're supposed to do the most, or even most important work or anything, but because they're supposed to take responsibility for their company to the rest of the world, and thus take on the most personal risk.

Probably doesn't work out that way in practice, few things do, but the principle seems reasonable to me.
  • Agustino
    What could be worse?Wosret
    Could the paperwork saying something different instead of being non-existent be worse?

Probably doesn't work out that way in practice, few things do, but the principle seems reasonable to me.Wosret
    Yes the principle is indeed reasonable, but as reasonable as most other principles are (actually the owners make the most, since theoretically they are risking their capital), there are ways around it.

Or take another scenario. You're the Prime Minister, and as part of your role you can name the head of the secret service in your country. The following events happen:
    1. You ask the current head whether person X has done something wrong and whether the service has any information on it. He says no.
    2. In two months time, you discover that the head of the secret service hasn't followed some protocol, and you dismiss him, and name someone else who has been recommended to you.
    3. You ask the new head whether person X has done something wrong and whether he should be further investigated. He disagrees.
    4. In four months time, you find that there has been a suspect call between the head of the secret service and an old business friend of his. You dismiss him
    5. You appoint a new head, and ask him whether person X has done something wrong and whether this needs to be investigated. He tells you that it is being investigated, and he will prepare the files to send to Court.

Have you as Prime Minister given any orders apart from dismissing folks for not being orthodox enough in their obedience to the law?
  • Wosret

Glad that we agree with me.
  • Agustino
    Glad that we agree with me.Wosret
    lol on what do you mean?
  • Wosret

I only read the first sentence, the rest seemed superfluous.
  • Agustino
    I only read the first sentence, the rest seemed superfluous.Wosret
    >:O it was!
  • Shawn
    all%2Bwork%2Band%2Bno%2Bplay%2Bmake%2Bjake%2Ba%2Bdull%2Bboy.jpg

BTW, Kubrick actually made someone type all 300 + pages.
  • S
    ...or should I stick to my very rewarding minimum wage job at a nursery (which I find ideal) and live happily with my mother?Question

That's similar to the path that I chose, except that my job isn't as rewarding or ideal, although it does pay slightly more than the minimum wage. (And I don't live with my mother). So I would choose the above option. I am content to have philosophy as a hobby, and I don't want to do all the time consuming hard work required to get the relevent qualifications.

I'd advise you to disregard the judgmentalism and looking-down-upon-ness as expressed in the replies of TimeLine and Hanover.
  • Agustino
    I'd advise you to disregard the judgmentalism and looking-down-upon-ness as expressed in the replies of TimeLine and Hanover.Sapientia
    I disagree with regards to TimeLine. TimeLine may disagree with Question's choices, but it's clearly with the goal of helping him - TL at least has good intentions in this matter.

The same however cannot be said about that prick Hanover ... Who does this merely to narcissistically inflate his own ego, with total disregard for the feelings and desires of other human beings - hence why he calls Question "pathetic". I wouldn't be surprised if Hanover's "successful" children are actually not quite succesful, and Hanover doesn't have such a good relationship with them at all, hence why he takes it out on Question, seeing his own children in him. But that would be speculation and going too far. Anyway, his sort of vindictive and superior-level judgementalism is something that greatly angers me when I see it in people in general.
  • Wosret
    Damn that lippiin' lizard! He really ruffles my jammies!
  • Agustino
    Am I motivated and habitual in my painting? Or is it something I never quite get around to because I'm too busy rehashing Spinoza with John every second day?TheWillowOfDarkness
    >:O But rehashing Spinoza with John may be a way to actually increase your productivity and creativity in painting :P
  • BC
    A couple of points after a good nights rest.Question

In fairness to those who some think gave you "hard advice" or were judgmental, you might have been more forthcoming in your initial request for feedback. In light of this information, I would have taken a much different tack. Like already having a degree...

I've been to college for a degree in behavioral economicsQuestion

...sheds much light on where you are coming from.

Maybe you have disclosed much about yourself in bits and pieces here and there, but I haven't been tracking your posts that closely. (Sorry, I'm too self-centered and egotistical, I guess.)

As for the importance of the ego, it is a watershed issue. Some people think a strong ego important (which is not being a narcissistic, egotistical asshole) and some people discount the ego (which is not the same as making of oneself an unworthy worm). Low self-esteem (your term) does point toward wishing one had a stronger ego--or something to that effect. It's perfectly acceptable to be humble and think well of yourself (to have self-esteem). Self-esteem isn't the same as pride, either, which cometh before a fall.

Now as for becoming a proper philosopher... Getting a PhD in philosophy will help you become a notable philosopher as much as getting a PhD in English Literature will help you become another Shakespeare. It won't. It can't. It never has. It never will.

By this time you either have the makings of being a significant philosopher or you don't -- the same way that I am either a potential notable author, or I am not. (Note: I am not.) That's just the way the cookie crumbled. In the mean time, you seem to be living your philosophy. Good for you. Good luck. Good afternoon.
  • BC
    Is the pot calling the kettle beige?
  • Hanover
    Like already having a degree...Bitter Crank

Well, he didn't say he had a degree. He said he had been to college for a degree. Going and getting are two different things, but I leave the clarification to him.
  • Hanover
    Been looking for a good troll. Know where I might find one?
  • Thorongil
    Thorongil claimed it is expensive to live in Germany, which is factually inaccurate, Germany is quite cheap.Emptyheady

What are you smoking, bro. It can cost around a 1000 Euros or more to live there per month.
  • Shawn
    Well, he didn't say he had a degree. He said he had been to college for a degree. Going and getting are two different things, but I leave the clarification to him.Hanover

What is this an interrogation? Yes, I have been to college; but dropped out if you must know. I think I've stated that before in my post history, but, don't expect that to contribute to anything to this discussion here. If going to college is such a big issue, then I'll do what's most efficient and go back to complete my degree in behavioral economics. In fact, me dropping out (which was technically a medical leave), is for the best because I was really not putting any effort into my studies despite maintaining a decent GPA (3.6). However, technically a degree even in economics is quite useless nowadays from what I have found out from a friend who graduated from UCB. He applied to some 40-60 places after graduating from such a top tier school and regrets going there due to not being able to find even an entry position.

I appreciate you acting as a father figure over the internet, you Bitter Cranck and Hanover, but I have already chosen to listen to unenlightened who has unfortunately not chimed in; but, I would already know what he would say more or less. To be honest, I would pay some of you guys for the advice and appreciate it greatly. I don't feel offended by some of the more in-your-face comments, and think the accusations thrown against Hanover are overblown. I can't stand whining, and if I came off as such, then all the better that Hanover pointed it out.

Thanks again for the advice you all. I'll go back to reading some more Wittgenstein now on my day off. Already looking for a second job.
  • Shawn

I'm a cannibalistic troll if you must know. I only troll trolls.
  • S
    I don't think my accusations against Hanover are overblown. He called you pathetic for doing a job you find rewarding and for living with someone you love and care for, and who loves and cares for you. There's nothing wrong with that if you're happy, and if you and your mother are happy living that way. What is this? Stockholm syndrome?

Some of the comments in this discussion are repugnant. But then you don't seem to care that much about what I have to say, because I'm not one of your favourites.
  • Wosret
    I won't say whom my favorites are, I don't want to devastate every single one of your fragile hearts.

Un should definitely post more. Now someone else invoke him, we need three and then by the laws of the universe (and every movie I've ever seen), he must apparate.
  • S
    I have already chosen to listen to unenlightened...Question

Un should definitely post more.Wosret

v51esggcg4hejatu.jpg
  • Wosret

That isn't a good picture of me, even though that's my good side.
  • unenlightened
    Was that three? I lost count.

Look after your children, and look after your parents. Play nice, and nothing else matters. Nobody knows what they are doing, and all advice is worthless. You're probably fucked whatever you do, and if not, it's luck not wisdom.
  • Shawn
    You're probably fucked whatever you do, and if not, it's luck not wisdom.unenlightened

Hahahaha. That's pretty harsh coming from you or wait is it me that's telling myself that I'm fucked. Now you've confused me thoroughly, haha.
  • Shawn
    Some of the comments in this discussion are repugnant. But then you don't seem to care that much about what I have to say, because I'm not one of your favourites.Sapientia

Well, it's kind of like saying to your friend in the same raft with a hole in it 'We're pretty fucked mate.' To which you reply, 'Yeah no shit!'
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.