• Streetlight
    The thing I look forward to most if a Trump defeat comes to pass, is never having to be assaulted by the vomit-timbre of his voice retching out from whatever media that so often decides that whatever he is saying is worth the oxygen that it wastes on any particular day. And my God, the bloody imitations by 'comedians' - a job that now seems to require that one have a 'Trump voice' in the pocket - can stop. Or die off. Stephen Colbert will have to find a new line of work, presumably.
  • Maw
    Wellness check on @NOS4A2
  • Maw
    that Sarah Cooper stuff is the worst thing I've seen
  • Streetlight
    Hadn't seen it - just watched about 10s of it then and noped the f out. Nope nope nope.
  • Benkei
    How is that funny? It's a cute girl with Trump's voice. Hardy har har.

Jesus. If that passes for entertainment no wonder you want the election to take 2 years. 1.5 years of campaigning and half a year of counting ballots is more exciting and actually funny this year as we get to watch Trump's meltdown.
  • praxis
    He’s probably busy looking for a new income stream.
  • Tim3003
    The reason certain states haven't been called is because they haven't counted enough of the ballots to be sure.Hanover

Why are these last few states so slow to count? Most states finished counting on Nov 3rd/4th. Nearly 3 days later and some are still struggling. Is it because projected swing-states deliberately take greater precautions and count slower as a result?
  • Benkei
    California is only at 66% currently. So it seems to be slower than most swing states.
  • Baden

He was fired.
  • ssu

One reason I guess is that some states could issue mail-in votes until the last day before the election.

A good idea (that won't happen) would be that mail-in voting simply would stop in all states at the same time let's say 1 week before and the counting of those votes would be started even before the election offices close. The second issue is of course that the system isn't designed to be effective as you have things like gerrymandering.

He was fired.Baden
    By the Trump team?

Hope he wasn't banned.
  • frank
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!
  • SophistiCat
    Heh. The normally reserved New York Times has dropped all pretense of impartiality:

Trump lies in the White House briefing room, and the networks pull the plug.

President Trump broke a two-day silence with reporters to deliver a brief statement filled with lies about the election process as workers in a handful of states continue to tabulate vote tallies in the presidential race.
    NYT

I browse NYT regularly (usually just morning briefing Europe), and I've watched with mixed feelings their evolution from the first time when they dropped the L-bomb (there was an article from an editor at that time, explaining why they thought it was appropriate to say that Trump lied, as opposed to using a more neutral word) to this.
  • ssu
    Biden takes a slight lead in Pennsylvania. If that happens, Trump has a lot of states where to demand a recount.
  • Baden

The lead is extending. It will be in the tens of thousands. Recounts will change nothing in Pennsylvania.Trump lost the election. It is over.
  • Hippyhead
    The thing I look forward to most if a Trump defeat comes to pass, is never having to be assaulted by the vomit-timbre of his voice retching out from whatever media that so often decides that whatever he is saying is worth the oxygen that it wastes on any particular day.StreetlightX

Agreement! I was listening to NPR yesterday when Trump came to the microphone. They played it just long enough to see it was going to be nothing more than the same old lies and pathetic whining, and NPR then pulled the plug in mid word, and went on to fact checking.
  • ssu
    Trump lost the election. It is over.Baden

Nice to see that you are an optimist! :up:

I fear the incoming Trump denial and maneuvers... but let's see how much punch the bully really has got.
  • Maw
    How is that funny? It's a cute girl with Trump's voice. Hardy har har.

Jesus. If that passes for entertainment no wonder you want the election to take 2 years. 1.5 years of campaigning and half a year of counting ballots is more exciting and actually funny this year as we get to watch Trump's meltdown.
    Benkei

The popular culture under Trump was awful, although perhaps not as bad as it was under Bush's first term. The problem with parodying Trump is that he already acts like an absurd fictional character. He stares into the sun during an eclipse. He feeds the winning college football team lukewarm fastfood. He and half his administration gets COVID.
  • Maw
    Like look at this shit

• Mr Bee
    Just woke up to Biden taking the lead in PA and the presidency and now I can sleep for the first time in 4 years.
  • VagabondSpectre
    Y'all were supposed to remove Trump from office after impeachment (it would have been an important lesson and catharsis for America and the world, and would have proven quality of democracy itself).

I'm left to wonder what upshot might remain...

What about the post-Trump Republican party?

Trump billed himself as the pied-piper that was going to drain the rat-swamped capitol for us...

Is there any chance that some of the republican rats who bent over so pathetically (Lindsey et al) will now sing and dance themselves out of town as Trump takes his un-paid leave?

Heaven forbid that Trump absconds with our sweet, pure and innocent children like Lindsey Graham and Ted Cruz...

(personally I cant wait until Lindsey starts insulting Trump again (once his Stockholm subsides), because it's instantly going to be thrown back in his face. "Hey, you remember that time that you shredded your own dignity to be an attention hungry cock-holster for Trump?").

And you still couldn't take the senate... Dems...

I wonder if the DNC had allowed Bernie (the popular one) to actually run against Trump, that we wouldn't now be tucking in to 4 years of lackadaisical lame-duck geriatric centrism, during a time when aggressive economic and political changes are so sorely needed...

God save the rich...
  • Mr Bee

A sneak peak at the horrible future awaiting the US in 2024. Of course it's really early, but some of the "default" choices are hilarious. I can't wait to see Trump's son face off against Obama's wife. It'll be Donald Trump v. Obama but not exactly
  • Maw
    these are always wrong, and Michelle is absolutely not running.
  • Mr Bee
    True, but there is a history of people ultimately settling on the default choice even after a primary. Alot of the candidates for both parties are often former vice presidents, including this one, but hopefully that won't be the case next time and that the candidate for the Democrats actually gets the nomination based on a winning inspiring message and not their connections to other presidents.
  • Changeling
    same mindset as Muslim extremists.
  • Baden

+ Don Jr quotes Goebbels, calling for "total war".

The more the GOP reject democracy and embrace fascism and violence, the more they destroy themselves while achieving precisely nothing. Self-destruct mode.
  • Michael
    I've finally decided to look into what this QAnon thing actually is.

"QAnon is a far-right conspiracy theory that alleges that the world is run by a powerful cabal of Satan worshipping pedophiles, who work to undermine US President Donald Trump and his actions against them, with the cabal operating a global child sex trafficking ring. The theory also commonly asserts that Trump is planning a day of reckoning known as 'The Storm', when thousands of members of the cabal will be arrested... It also claimed that Trump feigned conspiracy with Russians to enlist Robert Mueller to join him in exposing the sex trafficking ring and preventing a coup d'état by Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and George Soros."

I know people like to accuse liberals of not trying to understand and reason with conservatives/Trump supporters, but if they're the kind who believe this then I can't see how that's at all possible. Some people are just a lost cause.

(And according to this, 33% of Republicans believe that QAnon is mostly true and 23% partly true compared to 5% and 4% for Democrats.)
  • VagabondSpectre
    but if they're the kind who believe this then I can't see how that's at all possible.Michael

It takes an obscene amount of effort to dissuade these folks, (See: "The flat earth movement" for a similar cast of confusion).

Wacky conspiracies are as old as Alex Jones, and the QAnon thing has been around for many years. The problem is that it takes an attention span greater than the length of time it takes to say "night of the long knives" to actually get anywhere. Given that our attention spans are presently hacked to pieces, nonsense like QAnon and flat-earth have an easier time gaining traction...

...Why can't people just believe in normal stupid shit like ghosts, aliens, and religion?
  • Echarmion
    I know people like to accuse liberals of not trying to understand and reason with conservatives/Trump supporters, but if they're the kind who believe this then I can't see how that's at all possible. Some people are just a lost cause.Michael

It should probably be mentioned that there are several "levels" of the conspiracy, a bit like with Scientology. The entry level is "just" the global sex trafficking ring.

It's one of these convenient theories that are so vague that you can always give up this part or that and still hold on to some other parts.
  • ssu
    What about the post-Trump Republican party?VagabondSpectre
    Good question. Where does the Republican party go from here?

What if they run again with Trump in 2024?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.