• Benj96
    I like to think babies know what's up. It's a comforting and warm idea. I also think children in general can teach us a lot about how we should live... as they do live...in a time before "growing up" or as I like to put it "growing into" the relatively set assumptions, conditioning and beliefs of adults in a functional society bounded by legalities, cultural agendas and politics - a world of discipline and managed thinking.

Babies do not yet know boundaries. In this sense I mean those which are taught rather than those which are instinctual and necessary for basic sensory perception such as sounds and colours. They do not discriminate favorably between race, or class or between the educated and uneducated, between minorities or cultures or nations. They are not greedy nor corrupt.

All that babies do is observe and interact, smile, cry. Their needs are minimal; love and care, food and shelter, a safe place to explore. That is all. And in return they're just endlessly curious, intuitive and adventurous.

Its difficult to say how long this innocence and lack of conditioning lasts. Some would say that even the structure and grammatical aspects of their native language -one of the first subjects of learning for a baby will ultimately shape how they think, what emphasis is placed and on what words, the order of importance, genders, colloquialisms and culturally beliefs that are embodied and encrypted in everyday sayings and mannerisms.

I sometimes wonder is it possible to learn and not assume. Because in order to progress knowledge as a baby does through its infancy and childhood all the way until it dies... assumptions have to be made, beliefs have to be accepted, areas of study and skills have to be selected and scrutinised over others.

And because no one can remember when they are a baby, they cannot remember the world according to that which only knows perception. That which has not yet constructed his great reality filter.

We can never go back to the blissful and peaceful ignorance of infancy. We can never put ourselves in the position of innocence - a position where we cannot be held accountable like a baby is. And I dont believe we should. However I think we could reflect on our assumptions, deconstruct our belief systems and see them for what they are, examine all of those benhaviours of ours which differ from that of a baby.

I think if there is a "true reality", a true way to perceive accurately... Its childs play.
  • Pfhorrest
    When I was young I used to think there was something about me that was just better than other people, in ways very similar to how you describe children’s superiority. And I mean young as in a young adult, and in comparison to people my own age at the time. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve been traumatized and scarred by life, and found myself feeling broken and less functional than I was in my youth... in the same ways that everyone else has always seemed less functional to me. This experience has made me realize that there was never anything inherently superior about me in my youth, I had simply been spared somehow from the traumatic experiences that beat the light and life and joy and peace and curiosity and courage, etc, out of other people at a much younger age.
  • 3017amen
    However I think we could reflect on our assumptions, deconstruct our belief systems and see them for what they are, examine all of those benhaviours of ours which differ from that of a baby.Benj96

Excellent, good job Benj96!

I always said, in many respects, men and women are just children in adult bodies. The translation is what most call, being fun loving. We can't take ourselves too seriously.We should celebrate this way of Being.

I have found (like many psychologists) that the rubrics (rubricize) of society can be good, but also can be harmful. Taking one step back to move two steps forward is the hope. As you suggest, not that ignorance is bliss, but if we can slay our Gilligan's (pop psychology term) in a way that uncovers a healthy self-awareness, the journey is worth ride. Whether it's our professional or personal lives, we all just want to loved, in some way shape or form. Some argue it's all about feelings. (That notion squares with the primitive limbic system at the base of the brain.)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.