• RegularGuy
    I have not been a good man in this life. I have many faults. I have failed greatly in many ways. I may never be a truly good man, and I don’t know if I will be saved ... but, I will never deny my God again for as long as I am blessed to live.
  • Michael Ossipoff
    You already now know that the attitude is important, and living with consideration for other people and all living-things.

Of course we regret for the people who didn't wise-up as you have.

Michael Ossipoff
  • Sir2u
    You are blessed brother for admitting your sins, all is forgiven.

Go in peace.

We are nearly all in the same boat, so don't sweat it too much.
  • RegularGuy

Thank you both for the kind words and encouragement. God bless you both.
  • Michael Ossipoff

Sir2u said:

You are blessed brother for admitting your sins, all is forgiven.

Go in peace.

Sir2u, at these forums, has a history of attacking religion and arguing for Atheism, and the above-quoted passage is just another such attack. ...but, this time, taking the form of mocking.

Maybe Sir2u wants to show that there's no bottom-limit to his conduct.

We are nearly all in the same boat, so don't sweat it too much.

Not many would get in Sir2u's boat.

Michael Ossipoff

6 Su (South-Solstice WeekDate Calendar)

...Sunday of the 6th week of the calendar-year that started with the Monday that started nearest to the South-Solstice.
  • RegularGuy

That’s alright. I understand and forgive him. I was very angry and despised theists when I was an atheist, too. It’s a very dark and proud place to be.
  • Michael Ossipoff
    I was very angry and despised theists when I was an atheist, too. It’s a very dark and proud place to be.Noah Te Stroete

There's nothing to despise about Atheists, per se. In fact, some of my favorite people are Atheists.

But yes, aggressive Atheists are undeniably tiresome. I don't find a significant difference between them and the arrogant Mormons who come to my door.

I wouldn't despise someone just because they're tiresome. If you despised Atheists, you were merely giving them more attention than they deserve.

Aggressive Atheists are best ignored. There's really no other worthwhile response to them.

Your current attitude to ignore them makes sense. I no longer waste any time replying to them.

6 Su

Michael Ossipoff
  • RegularGuy
    There's nothing to despise about Atheists, per se. In fact, some of my favorite people are Atheists.Michael Ossipoff

I agree. It’s the ones with chips on their shoulders that are best ignored.
  • Sir2u
    Sir2u, at these forums, has a history of attacking religion and arguing for Atheism, and the above-quoted passage is just another such attack. ...but, this time, taking the form of mocking.

Maybe Sir2u wants to show that there's no bottom-limit to his conduct.
    Michael Ossipoff

I have never attacked anyone for their religion. If you think that way you must have some proof of what you are saying, lets see the post where I insulted or attacked someone because of their religious views.

I did not mock him, all I did was tell him the truth according to the bible. If that is a sin then sue me. It is not a question of whether I believe or not in religion but whether he does. If he believes in the words of the bible s he says then by admitting his sins he will be saved.

Not many would get in Sir2u's boat.Michael Ossipoff

You would be the loser then. Or maybe you did not understand the usage of the phrase? Being in the same boat means being in the same situation, in this case I said basically that most of us have done bad things and will probably do more bad things. You can deny that if you want, but you are probably in the same boat whether you like it or not.

But yes, aggressive Atheists are undeniably tiresome.Michael Ossipoff

How would you define Aggressive Atheists? I always considered then to be the ones that go around preaching to others that their way is best. I really don't like them much either, they are no better that any other religion trying to get converts.
  • Michael Ossipoff
    How would you define Aggressive Atheists? I always considered then to be the ones that go around preaching to others that their way is best. I really don't like them much either, they are no better that any other religion trying to get converts.Sir2u

Well-said. But you should resist the inclination to mock beliefs different from your own.

Just briefly, remember that you don't know all the Theists or the beliefs of all Theists, or the evidence for their beliefs. ....or their reasons for faith (belief without evidence). ...but remember that evidence needn't be proof, and that there's no such thing as proof, or valid assertion, in the matter of Reality as a whole. (...as opposed to the logically-interdependent things.)

What? That's their fault, because they haven't all told you? Irrelevant. Whatever is the reason why don't know the beliefs, evidence, and reasons for faith, of all Theists, the fact remains that you don't know those things.

What you do know, and should feel free to say, is that you don't know of evidence for, or reason for faith about, what someone else believes. Saying that, vs saying that there's no evidence, or no reason for faith--Those are two different kinds of statements.

A little humility and modesty would be good, and that's something missing from our aggressive-Atheist brothers.

This is just a quick preliminary reply, and, if I've left out anything that I meant to say, I'll add it later today, or tomorrow.

But I like your last paragraph, quoted above.

Michael Ossipoff

7 M
  • Sir2u
    But you should resist the inclination to mock beliefs different from your own.Michael Ossipoff

I don't have any beliefs, that is what atheism is all about, not have them. But I did not mock him, I told him what he wanted to hear. And he was happy with it until you burst the bubble.

Just briefly, remember that you don't know all the Theists or the beliefs of all Theists,Michael Ossipoff

I have little interest in knowing and it makes little difference.

What you do know, and should feel free to say, is that you don't know of evidence for, or reason for faith about, what someone else believes. Saying that, vs saying that there's no evidence, or no reason for faith--Those are two different kinds of statements.Michael Ossipoff

Basically all I have ever said is that I have never heard convincing evidence to support peoples religious beliefs. What they want to believe is their problem. I leave it to them to explain, if they want to, why they believe.

A little humility and modesty would be good, and that's something missing from our aggressive-Atheist brothers.Michael Ossipoff

For someone that takes it upon himself to preach to others about sinning you might consider taking your own advice once in a while.

But I like your last paragraph, quoted above.Michael Ossipoff

Thank you.

:victory: Peace brother.

P.S.
    I have not been a good man in this life.Noah Te Stroete

How do you know he is not a mass murderer, or worse?

I hope he is not and that he does find peace.
  • RegularGuy
    How do you know he is not a mass murderer, or worse?Sir2u

LOL Rest assured I am not a violent criminal. I just have religious guilt due to my upbringing.
  • RegularGuy
    You’re welcome to CCAP me. I live in Wisconsin.
  • Sir2u
    LOL Rest assured I am not a violent criminal. I just have religious guilt due to my upbringing.Noah Te Stroete

Yeah, I guessed that. Not too many of them come around here. I hope.

The reason for the question is to see why Michael thought it was necessary to rush to your defense while insulting me.
  • RegularGuy
    The reason for the question is to see why Michael thought it was necessary to rush to your defense while insulting me.Sir2u

It seems you rubbed him the wrong way in the past.
  • Sir2u
    It seems you rubbed him the wrong way in the past.Noah Te Stroete

A wise man once said "If the truth hurts, then you must change the truth."

Lots of people are not fond of the truth. Maybe I said something he did not like, I don't remember.
  • Michael Ossipoff
    Lots of people are not fond of the truthSir2u

Go forth and preach the truth to the multitudes!

You see, Sir2u has the truth. And he doesn't have any beliefs.

Michael Ossipoff

7 Tu
  • Michael Ossipoff

But what, in particular, is this truth that Sir2u has, that (at least some) people don't like?

Michael Ossipoff

7 Tu
  • Sir2u
    Go forth and preach the truth to the multitudes!Michael Ossipoff

Where did I say or imply that I know the truth? The truth about what?

You see, Sir2u has the truth. And he doesn't have any beliefs.Michael Ossipoff

What is the relation between truth and beliefs? Are you saying that a person cannot know the truth without having beliefs? That seems very strange.

But what, in particular, is this truth that Sir2u has, that (at least some) people don't like?Michael Ossipoff

I don't know what people did not like, I am not a mind reader. And yes it is valid to say "because they have not told me" for the simple reason that it is the truth. They have not told me. :chin:
  • Michael Ossipoff
    Lots of people are not fond of the truth. Maybe I said something he did not like, I don't remember.Sir2u

Where did I say or imply that I know the truth? The truth about what?Sir2u

See above.

"The truth about what?" How would I know what truth you were referring to.

"You see, Sir2u has the truth. And he doesn't have any beliefs". — Michael Ossipoff

What is the relation between truth and beliefs? Are you saying that a person cannot know the truth without having beliefs? .
    Sir2u

If you claim a truth, then presumably you believe that what you claim is a truth. But then, knowing you, maybe not :D ...judging by your following statement:

I told him what he wanted to hear. And he was happy with it until you burst the bubble.Sir2u

But, whether or not you believe what you say, I have no way of knowing what truth you were referring to.

And yes it is valid to say "because they have not told me" for the simple reason that it is the truth. They have not told me.Sir2u

I merely said that that's irrelevant. Whatever the reason why you don't know all Theists, their beliefs, or their evidence for their beliefs, or their reasons for faith in the absence of evidence, the fact remains that you don't know.

Maybe they haven't all told you because you haven't spoken with or heard from all of them.

...and maybe you didn't ask, because:

I have little interest in knowing and it makes little difference.Sir2u

:D

Michael Ossipoff

7 Th
  • Michael Ossipoff

”But you should resist the inclination to mock beliefs different from your own.” — Michael Ossipoff
    I don't have any beliefs, that is what atheism is all about, not have them.
    1. Sir2u is confused about what Atheism is. Atheism is defined as the position (belief) that there isn’t a God. Yes, it’s now fashionable to call oneself an “Atheist”, while professing Agnosticism.
    I have no criticism of Agnostics, or even of genuine Atheists, as such.
    2. Beliefs? Well, our aggressive-“Atheists” here typically have been saying that there’s no evidence, or justifiable reason for faith regarding, any God (by anyone’s conception of God). That’s an unsupported belief. Additionally, many self-designated “Atheists” here are firm-believers in Materialism. That, too, is a belief.
    (…a religion, in fact, by some definitions in Merriam-Webster and Simon & Schuster dictionaries.)
    So yes, the funniest belief of our “Atheists” is their belief that they have no beliefs.
    But I did not mock him, I told him what he wanted to hear. And he was happy with it until you burst the bubble.
    Should I apologize for spoiling Sir2u’s cover and deception?
    ”Just briefly, remember that you don't know all the Theists or the beliefs of all Theists, — Michael Ossipoff
    I have little interest in knowing and it makes little difference.
    Good. But of course you need to remember that that would disqualify you when commenting on whether or not there is any evidence, or reason for faith, regarding their beliefs.
    You don’t make any such comments? Fine, that would be an improvement.
    As for whether you previously did or didn’t, I’d rather take your word for that than begin a long and laborious search of old posts.
    ”What you do know, and should feel free to say, is that you don't know of evidence for, or reason for faith about, what someone else believes. Saying that, vs saying that there's no evidence, or no reason for faith--Those are two different kinds of statements.” — Michael Ossipoff
    Basically all I have ever said is that I have never heard convincing evidence to support peoples religious beliefs.
    As I said above, I’d rather take your word for that than start a long and laborious search of old posts.
    If that’s really all you’ve said--if you were only speaking of what’s known or not-known to you--then of course that wasn’t aggressive or dubious. Your statement that you don’t know of evidence for others’ beliefs is probably correct.
    But, if that’s your position on the matter, then it would be difficult to explain all the posting that you did in anti-Theism threads. :D
    …if Sir2u is speaking accurately now, rather than just (again) saying what he thinks someone else wants to hear.
    That practice of saying what someone else wants to hear, when it means saying things that one doesn’t believe, indicates a lack honesty, bringing into question whatever that person says.
    There’s a word for saying things that one doesn’t believe. But we don’t use that word here.
    Anyway, Sir2u’s mocking-behavior, in the 3rd post to this thread, amounts to aggressive and abusive behavior and shows a lack of honesty. …whatever may be the truth-value of his claim about his previous statements elsewhere.
    ”A little humility and modesty would be good, and that's something missing from our aggressive-Atheist brothers.” — Michael Ossipoff
    For someone that takes it upon himself to preach to others about sinning…
    I made no mention of “sinning”. I merely exposed your mockery and deception.
    Michael Ossipoff
    7 Th
  • S
    I have not been a good man in this life. I have many faults. I have failed greatly in many ways. I may never be a truly good man, and I don’t know if I will be saved ... but, I will never deny my God again for as long as I am blessed to live.Noah Te Stroete

I have felt the loving embrace of The Flying Spaghetti Monster, and I will never turn away from Him. His noodley appendage has touched my heart. He boiled for my sins.

God bless you both.Noah Te Stroete

May the force be with you, live long and prosper, and ALL GLORY TO THE HIPNOTOAD!
  • S
    mockingMichael Ossipoff

Oh no! Jesus Christ! No! For the love of God! Heaven forbid! Anything but that! Father, why have you forsaken me?!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.