• substantivalism
    I really don't think this issue involves morality. That is one of the chief problems I have with almost every activist I've ever encountered in any medium. Morality, usually, doesn't matter to solving the problem of reducing numbers of victims of whatever it is..AmadeusD
    Come to think of it this seems to happen rather often in treatments of societal problems but generally not because of giving morality the lime light. I.E. there is a focus on one particular aspect of why people resist embracing a new paradigm when another more pressing concern is claimed as more prominent.

For example, think of the notorious transgender bathroom situation. As far as solutions go its rather simple if not obvious what should happen and its peculiar it hasn't happened sooner. In the same sense in which bathrooms, or in analogy any other public place, can be made independent of race so can they do so for gender expression. . . sex. . . disability. . . intersex condition. . . etc.

Why then the resistance? One such prong of disagreement seems to be that greater pain in the transition to such a gender neutral world would become widespread and hidden from the sight of judicial/societal action. Beyond the rhetoric with which gender roles retain their objectivity by religious conviction or biological necessity. Beyond mere conservative pearl clutching, emotional distain, and the collapse of western civilization. They shout out statistics indicating both rare cases of cross dressing abusers and the prevalence of assaults' on women in mixed restrooms. This is not deniable albeit quibbling on how these statistics may be more skewed given the possibility of under-reporting.

The issue then turns to addressing a societal problem that could be seen as a specific case of true 'toxic masculinity'. Think we will get somewhere now? Or rather is it the case that one or the other side will push us back down the causal run to another fundamental level? Morality or not. . . religiosity or not. . . mental health or not. . . etc.
  • AmadeusD
    A parochial example of where Sex and Gender come apart - and it matters.

This minister is using trans people as a political football here. It's 'despicable' is his words.
    Someone who admits they squirmed their way into their portfolio, for ideological reasons, isn't even the standard dishonest politician. They are a liar.
145678Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.