• Jedothek
    From what work does this Nietzsche quote come? "Who has organized the chaos of his passions, given style to his character, and become creative. Aware of life's terrors, he affirms life without resentment."
    (clearly it was first quoted on the internet without naming the work, and has been copied and pasted a thousand times since then )
  • AmadeusD
    Thus Spake Zarathustra I believe, but @Vaskane is your man.
  • Lionino
    If you look up this quote online, something very strange will appear:
    g0DwYDo.png
  • Joshs

It’s the Uber-pizza
  • Jedothek
    Yes, of course it doesn't have to be verbatim since it's a translation; i'd be grateful to get a citation for the passage that was the source of what i read. Thanks
  • Arne
    as Vaskane suggested, it is not a quote from Nietzsche. Instead, it is a scholar's "summarized" description of Nietzsche's overman/superman/ubermensch.

"The overman is the type approximated by Goethe—the human being . . . who has organized the chaos of his passions, given style to his character, and become creative. Aware of life's terrors, he affirms life without resentment." -- Walter A. Kaufmann

In: The Encyclopedia of of Philosophy, Vol. 5, Pages 504-514, Macmillan, New York. at page 511.
  • Chet Hawkins
    Ideas centering on that topic come from both Beyond Good and Evil and the Genealogy of Morals. According even to Wikipedia, the discussion is about identity and resentment in particular and apparently there is no word in German that is precise enough to mean resentment.

Are you curious about any moral issues within the works or just interested in finding the relevant passages?
  • Arne
    discussion is about identity and resentment in particular and apparently there is no word in German that is precise enough to mean resentment.Chet Hawkins

Indeed. And that is the primary reason Walter Kauffman initially used "re-sentiment" rather than resentment. But dong so came with its own set of issues so Kauffman eventually reverted to resentment.
  • Jedothek
    Ah. So it's Kauffman. Thanks to you all for your work!
  • Jedothek
    I just wanted to find the source of the quote out of sheer curiosity -- or maybe i wanted to quote it in something i was writing, i forget. As for the issues, I've read BGE and GM
  • Arne
    it is an excellent quote and it took me a while to track it down. But it was worth it. I rely heavily upon Kauffman for my understanding of Nietzsche and was not surprised to find out it was his.
  • Arne
    Still mad props for finding the quote.Vaskane

I wish you nothing but the best.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal