• Relativist
    From an external perspective, yes, but I don't see how this solves the problem that if it is possible for an uncaused event to "create" time, then such events should be multiply realizableCount Timothy von Icarus
    An initial state isn't an event, because an event is something caused by a prior state of affairs.

I'll add more theory, to give us a scenario to discuss. From a perspective external to the universe, there is no elapse of time. Sounds weird, but this is consistent with the Page-Wooters mechanism. These physicists theorized that the elapse of time is a consequence of quantum entanglement experienced within a quantum system, but to external observers there is no elapse of time. This has actually been experimentally verified to a degree. The universe (internally) evolves strictly in accordance with a Schroedinger equation, so there's no basis for claiming thngs should be expected to pop into existence uncaused.

Re: multiple realizability: The initial state could possibly produce multiple causally isolated universes, each of which has time elapse internally, but from the perspective of Universe A, Universe B is inert - and vice versa. (Actually, causal isolation implies other universes are undetectable, so this is fudging a bit).
  • AmadeusD
    Ok, that's quite clear - thank you!
  • jgill
    It's a two way streetCount Timothy von Icarus

Of course it is. Virtual particles is fair game for both sides of the intellectual coin. And as I mentioned there seems to be a spectrum between virtual and real, which is fascinating. At some point in this spectrum may be where mathematics is reified.

Thanks for the Floridi remark. I'm looking into it now. New territory for me. :smile:
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet