• plaque flag
    This immanentist agrees.180 Proof
    :up:
    That's the spirit of my recent topics. Down in it. Hopefully the opposite of escapism. Trying to tell the essence of the whole truth. Can't spell out every fact.
  • 180 Proof
    a kind of horizonplaque flag
  • plaque flag
    IIRC, Husserl begins as a mathematician ... I imagine Spinoza, like Epicurus, would "take" thinking – reflective inquiry/practice – impersonally.180 Proof

Absolutely. So there's an existential decision to live in a beautifully impersonal way, which I understand as maximally social. I want to be us and not just me. I want to strive heroically against my own petty finitude, toward the relative infinity of Feuerbach's species-essence.
  • 180 Proof
    So there's an existential decision to live in a beautifully impersonal way, which I understand as maximally social.plaque flag
    ... or minimally egoic (e.g. Laozi's wu wei, Epicurus' aponia, Pyrrho's epochē, Spinoza's scientia intuitiva, Nietzsche's amor fati, Zapffe-Camus' absurd, Rosset's cruelty ...)

I want to be us and not just me.
    How about you – second person plural – such as Buber's Ich-Du (or even Dao)?

I want to strive heroically against my own petty finitude, toward the relative infinity of Feuerbach's species-essence.
    à la Meillassoux / Brassier! :fire:
  • plaque flag
    ... or minimally egoic (e.g. Laozi's wu wei, Epicurus' aponia, Pyrrho's epochē, Spinoza's scientia intuitiva, Nietzsche's amor fati, Zapffe-Camus' absurd, Rosset's cruelty ...)180 Proof

How about you – second person plural – such as Buber's Ich-Du (or even Dao)?180 Proof
    Yes, all of this. Sort of part of what I mean by endlessly clarifying the radical intention. The 'project' comes in many flavors.
  • plaque flag
    Maps are not "far from" models yet neither are equivalent to the territory as (sub)personal – existential – biases would have us believe (re: folk psychology).180 Proof

Perhaps you could elaborate ? One possible interpretation: life ain't just discourse. It is feeling and seeing and hearing and not just reports of such things. Conceptuality is just one 'dimension' or 'aspect' of life.
  • Joshs

I agree, but we don't want to smooth out the actual personal subject too much, because rationality seems to be normative on the personal level. I can disagree with you but not with myselfplaque flag

If we take a page from self-consistency theory in psychology, we can say that the self is a continual achievement of the anticipatory construing of events, and among the most important event is one’s own self-reflections. Thus the self is no more internally integral than the events the person is able to construe intelligibly. Examples of a disordered self include emotional distress. Emotions such as guilt, threat and anxiety can represents situations which put into question the coherence of our core sense of self. Put differently, these are situations in which the basis of my rationality crumbles , I attempt to ride off in two directions at once, and I end up disagreeing with myself.
  • plaque flag
    If we take a page from self-consistency theory in psychology, we can say that the self is a continual achievement of the construing of events, and among the most important event is one’s own self-reflections.Joshs

I think we need to see the self from the inside and outside at once.

Thus the self is no more internally integral than the events the person is able to construe intelligibly. Examples of a disordered self include emotional distress. Emotions such as guilt, threat and anxiety can represents situations which put into question the coherence of our core sense of self.Joshs

I agree. Dramaturgical ontology. Who am I ? I 'shit my pants' when I 'lose my head.' I lose my map. I lose the script. I lose the plot. Hysteria, chaos in the meatsuit.
  • plaque flag

Recall that, in 1984, Winston is destroyed psychologically. Rorty goes into great detail about this in CIS. The Inner Party makes it impossible for Winston to place himself in an acceptable narrative. The 'hero myth' -- if fundamental to personality -- is fundamental to human reality. Hence James saying with Shakespeare that the world is a basically a stage.

One could say that the world for us is a stage, but to me that's just the world --which is not to say we ever know it exhaustively or infallibly.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet