• frank
    Once a year, there's a day when one aspect of the now is magnified, specifically about how it relates to another date: your birthday. Your birthday is a distant star, but you use that star to judge your appropriateness. You may notice some confidence and poise in some areas, and identify that as part of the blessing of this pole star,

Star_Trail_above_Beccles_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1855505.jpg

Or maybe you notice aches and pains, nostalgia, or regret. But in a way, all of those things are the moving atmosphere above a deeper feeling of being. This is the other now. If you remember the way you felt standing on a beach as a child, or reading a favorite book, or maybe sitting in a drainage ditch to be close to nature. This is the center of the universe, and all the rest is a repetition of forms that all living things go through, or maybe the whole universe itself goes through this cycle of birth, life, and death.

And that's the other star in the distance: time of death, they call it. Do you fear it? Do you wait patiently for it? Do you think about it at all? Death is a kind of harvest. All the unanswered questions on your day of birth are now answered: who you would be, how you would behave at that critical juncture, how you would treat that person of no consequence, what you would fight for, whether you would fight at all, or let it be. It's all known then. So in this way, the now is oriented to what it could be, what it should be, whether your last thoughts will be of guilt or joy.

--thoughts from the bathtub
  • Alkis Piskas
    Once a year, there's a day when one aspect of the now is magnified, specifically about how it relates to another date: your birthday.frank
    For me, my birthday meant only something when I was a kid and received presents! :smile: I have stopped celebrating it since a lot of years ago. It's just a social convention.

Your birthday is a distant star, but you use that star to judge your appropriateness. You may notice some confidence and poise in some areas, and identify that as part of the blessing of this pole starfrank
    Are you in poetry?

--thoughts from the bathtubfrank
    That's a good place for inspiration. In the past I used it to find solutions in my computer programming projects! :smile:
    It's also the place in which Archimedes made his famous discovery! :smile:
  • frank
    For me, my birthday meant only something when I was a kid and received presents! :smile: I have stopped celebrating it since a lot of years ago. It's just a social convention.Alkis Piskas

What I was getting at is that your age is part of the now as it relates to a point in the past. That aspect of the now is emphasized on your birthday, but it's there all the time in some way, unless you drop down below the surface. The experience changes based on which side of things you think of as stationary and which one is moving. If your birthday is imagined as a fixed point, then all your nows (present moments) are revolving outward from that point. If you think of your present now as the fixed point, then all of time is revolving around that unchanging quality of being which I picture as the center of the earth.

This is mostly Kierkegaard type stuff, I guess.
  • Alkis Piskas
    What I was getting at is that your age is part of the now as it relates to a point in the past. That aspect of the now is emphasized on your birthday, but it's there all the time in some way, unless you drop down below the surface.frank
    I can see the first point. I can't follow the rest ... Sorry.

This is mostly Kierkegaard type stuff, I guess.frank
    Ah, this explains everything! That's why I can't follow it! :grin:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.