• plaque flag
    so denial and vehement dismissal is the only way to react if confronted with it.schopenhauer1

There's also the sublimated evasion, sort of what I'm doing, though I can't sincerely call it an evasion. Most people cling to life and avoid death most of the time.

My own suggestion (if you recall) was to make suicide easy and painless --and cleaner, because that's the tricky part for the suicide who wants to be polite and not leave a mess. This fits the individualism of our times.
  • plaque flag
    Caring about suffering in the abstract is not our strong point.schopenhauer1

There seem to be evolutionary reasons for that. As the likelihood of shared genes increases, so does the likelihood of bonding and cooperation. I feel the pull of the universal human family, but these days I can't forget that in-groups depend on out-groups. There's no us without them. Just as the body shits and externalizes, so does the group. If aliens attack, then we'll have some fiery humanism.
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.