• Nils Loc
    Life is an eternity of channel surfing but there is no memory of past channels. To see a new show you must die and you will always live for the very first time in the viewing. Like a Virgin.

Do you enjoy your program or do you wish you had the courage to change the channel. Maybe you're just lucky you can't find the remote.

:monkey:
  • Sir2u
    Sounds like you are talking about something more than the television.
    But no, there is no remote to the channels of life.
  • Nils Loc
    Sounds like you are talking about something more than the television.
    But no, there is no remote to the channels of life.
    Sir2u

But to serve this cringey metaphor my way, there are plenty of button-like events that can turn off the television, which amounts to changing the channel. :chin:

This is the age of remotes. The buttons are everywhere, illumined on glassy surfaces. They are the proof of our free will.
  • Sir2u
    They are the proof of our free will.Nils Loc

No, they are proof that we can build things.
    Clicking on the buttons only allows you to change the channel, not allow you to see what you really want to see. You can only decide, impose your will, about what is offered.
  • Nils Loc
    No, they are proof that we can build things.Sir2u

Actually, button pressing and channel changing à la the metaphor is about ending one's life.

A more direct, sober, offensive question is under what circumstances should suicide be condoned?

Since the state of death is not an experience, the only experiential alternative to death is a kind of life. Might this make the prospect of death less psychologically severe for us if we believe it.

There will only ever be life after death but it won't be my or your life. Possibly it is like something to be a turtle with a straw stuck up its nose.
  • Sir2u
    Actually, button pressing and channel changing à la the metaphor is about ending one's life.Nils Loc

Never heard that before. Button pressing is usually about annoying people and channel changing is a method of avoidance.

A more direct, sober, offensive question is under what circumstances should suicide be condoned?Nils Loc

Suicide is a private choice, I don't think it should be condoned nor condemned. I someone has a valid reason for not wanting to continue eating, few will try to stop him. But when they talk about not continue the road of life nearly everyone will condemn the idea.

People need a lot of things to make life livable, every attempt should be made to insure that people's live have as many as possible. If, after trying to help resolve the situation that has caused the wish to end it all have failed then it should be left to each person to decide how they continue.

Personally I would hurt more knowing that I was the cause of much suffering because I interfered with someone's suicide than I would by not sticking my nose in to try and stop them.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.