• Agent Smith
    does God flip coinsjas0n

Exactly! I can, any intelligent being can, generate true randomness. Imagine I'm sitting behind a screen (you can't see me). On your screen is a virtual coin which you flip. You flip the coin. I manipulate the coin to show heads (1 H). You flip again, I again cause the coin to show heads (2 H). You flip the coin one more time, but now I let the display show tails (1 T). You flip once again, and I manipulate the program to show tails ( 2 T).

You do the math: 2 heads and 2 tails in four flips, a probability of 50% for both outcomes. You tell yourself, the coin flips are random. However, all this time, I've been using an algorithm (make sure that the number of heads = the number of tails on n flips).
  • jas0n

Yes, and though statistical tests can be used to suggest fishiness (maybe you accidentally manifest a pattern), they never prove genuine order. A fair coin can come up heads 50 times in a row. Unlikely, but possible....
  • Agent Smith
    Yes, and though statistical tests can be used to suggest fishiness (maybe you accidentally manifest a pattern), they never prove genuine order. A fair coin can come up heads 50 times in a row. Unlikely, but possible....jas0n

:up:
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.